how many silicon packs in the housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justinbaker

Registered
Reaction score
just wonderin how many pack of the gel i should put in the housing? thanks

for me it all depends if it is a brand new packet or an older one. Brand new, one does the trick. If I am using older packets I put up to 3 in the housing.

This time of year the air temp is around 100 degrees with a fair amount of humidity and the bottom temp is around 44 degrees so I have been using 3 in my Oly housing (all I can fit in there). Three works and they are cheap and re-useable so I don't see the need to go with less.

Just be careful, don't force the packets to fit. I did that and it misaligned my camera and some of the buttons didn't line up just right. If the dessicant packs will slip easily into a space, go for it.

Make sure you have good airflow around the gel pack. I squeezed one in between the bottom of my Olymous C5000z camera and a panty liner strip, but found it ineffective - I had major lens condensation and blew some great set ups as a result. And this was in Palau at Blue Corner with masses of Barracuda - the best dive I have ever done!! I've since put a gel pack in "clear space" closer to the lens and have had no worries since. A lot seems to depend on the amount of airspace in the housing - it seems tha bigger; bulkier housings actually have less condensation problems from what I have seen.

Cheers and best fishes.

Wiggsy.

FWIW in Cozumel end August - September I used two with my Oly 5050/PT 015 after a bit of condensation during the surface interval. i took the camera down anyway and it disappeared. Probably not good for the camera on a regular basis, but I got lucky!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom