How many primary lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judestudio

Contributor
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this seems like a silly question to you.

I have just been OW certified not too long ago, and am thinking of going onto the Advanced OW soon with my sister. We're just wondering if BOTH of us will need a primary light, or can just one of us carry a good primary, and each carry a secondary in night dives? We're going to have a tank beacon each too.

Thanks!

You should each have a primary, and secondary on a night dive. ANything less, and you are taking an unecessary risk.

Ditch the tank beacon...

On night dives I carry my primary and two smaller back up lights. Don't forget to have a tank marker as well. If you get lost or separated at night, it may be very helpful to find you or your buddy.

PS: No need to apologize for asking a question.

judestudio:
I apologize in advance if this seems like a silly question to you.

I have just been OW certified not too long ago, and am thinking of going onto the Advanced OW soon with my sister. We're just wondering if BOTH of us will need a primary light, or can just one of us carry a good primary, and each carry a secondary in night dives? We're going to have a tank beacon each too.

Thanks!
That's what we call "marginal." At the very least, you should both have two lights in addition to the tank marker lights; if one primary's all you can handle right now, carry three backups between the two of you.
Rick

The primary light is not only used for lighting stuff up so you can see it, but also for signalling your buddy. For example, if he wants to get your attention, he shines his beam across the area you are looking. If you circle OK on the bottom, he can answer by doing the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom