How many of you wish your spouse would dive with you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wish in one hand...

My dear wife is totally and completely uninterested in more than half of what I think is cool to do in my spare time. That's just how it is, and we've succeeded in finding a decent balance between my interest and her complete disinterest in diving when we're on vacation. That means no liveaboards, no dedicated diving vacations, but we have a nice mix of underwater, in-water and topside activities when we're going on vacation. I get some "me time" pursuing my other interests once in a while, and most of my diving is day outings and week-end trips.

My son, though, is a diver and he's one of my preferred diving buddies. Aside from that father-son bonding thing, he's a quite competent diver whom I feel I can trust, he's not prone to panic, and we've dived enough together to somewhat be able to read each others' minds underwater. We've also found a nice balance between my interest in UW photo and his lack of the same, and we share other interests when diving.

I know there werre a lot of you who chimed in and commented on the earlier thread " How many of you love diving with your spouse?" But I noticed there were a few who chimed and said that they wished that they could have there spouse join them.

If I dive with both my wife and my "female dive buddy", I'm gonna have to go with nitrox.

Not much chance of mine every trying it.

She does swim (reluctantly as her school pushed people to learn) but her face must be above water at all times.

I might get her to try the mask and snorkel at some point, then maybe introduce her to using it in the water (probably in the sink at home first!). If that works I might get her to try it in OW.

Then maybe Scuba.

Guess I was lucky to have been born in to a family of (relative) fishes who were comfortable in the water from very young.

I'm still looking for my wife. She must be incredibly well camouflaged. In fact, I've never even dated a diver (although I've had a number of wonderful female dive buddies). If I met the right woman, I think I'd enjoy diving with her very much... especially if she has a trust fund large enough to finance regular dive trips to exotic destinations!

My wife dives with me.... sometimes... she actually got certified while we were dating so she could dive with me...

While i enjoy a leisurely swim with the fishes type recreational dive with her, the deep water and technical stuff are a NO GO!

I must add, diving with her is quite enjoyable... in particular the "silent world" part.... :D

The wife now dives with me - 36 years after we married. For 36 years she was happy to be my 'surface' buddy (followed me around in the dinghy). It wasn't until I joined a dive club and she met other woman divers that she got interested. I think the social aspect of the dives finally convinced her to get certified. Warning... she made me take the OW class with her so she wouldn't get buddied up with a stranger. The poor OW instructor didn't know what to say when told I had 43 years of diving experience.

The wife now dives with me - 36 years after we married. For 36 years she was happy to be my 'surface' buddy (followed me around in the dinghy). It wasn't until I joined a dive club and she met other woman divers that she got interested. I think the social aspect of the dives finally convinced her to get certified. Warning... she made me take the OW class with her so she wouldn't get buddied up with a stranger. The poor OW instructor didn't know what to say when told I had 43 years of diving experience.

You know this actually makes a lot of sense. I think this is a really good example. Being around others who dive in a social setting such as a club, I think is a great idea for others to try if they are looking for a good way to help get their spouse to be interested in diving.

Thank you sharing this with us!

Frank G

My wife started my diving career. While vacationing in Australia on the Great Barrier Reef she signed us both up for a discover scuba course. While I had to get certified as soon as we got home she has no interest in continuing with diving. She finds the mask claustrophobic and the gear too heavy. She gets cold too easily even in warm tropical waters and really doesn't feel comfortable in the water. She is a great sport however and accepts my love of diving. She always encourages me to dive when we are on vacation. We had a family trip to Kauai but we're staying in Princeville. I didn't want to take the whole day driving to Poipu leaving at 4 am and being away all day. But after reading an article in one of my dive magazines about diving with Monk seals she said, "see, you should have tried this." Maybe next time. But my daughter certified at 13 and is now 17. She is my preferred dive buddy these days.

---------- Post added December 22nd, 2015 at 12:22 AM ----------

These days my wife has only two rules about my diving. I always come home safe and I never ask her to try diving again.

My wife started my diving career. While vacationing in Australia on the Great Barrier Reef she signed us both up for a discover scuba course. While I had to get certified as soon as we got home she has no interest in continuing with diving. She finds the mask claustrophobic and the gear too heavy. She gets cold too easily even in warm tropical waters and really doesn't feel comfortable in the water. She is a great sport however and accepts my love of diving. She always encourages me to dive when we are on vacation. We had a family trip to Kauai but we're staying in Princeville. I didn't want to take the whole day driving to Poipu leaving at 4 am and being away all day. But after reading an article in one of my dive magazines about diving with Monk seals she said, "see, you should have tried this." Maybe next time. But my daughter certified at 13 and is now 17. She is my preferred dive buddy these days.

---------- Post added December 22nd, 2015 at 12:22 AM ----------

These days my wife has only two rules about my diving. I always come home safe and I never ask her to try diving again.

I might try this - there is an article in one of the mags about the seals off the Farne Islands here which are very playful so it might tempt her. Add to that we are thinking about a vacation to the GBR in a few years so diving there might be enough to tempt her.

My wife thinks it's really neat and wants to try it but is afraid of wasting money since she can't see herself doing it enough having 3 kids will do that my 13 year old daughter got spooked after she took the course because of an incident I was involved in where I went to rescue someone with the outcome not so good but her 3 kids think it's and I quote "super awesome" and want to learn so I will be getting them all fitted with proper snorkels masks and fins this year

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom