How many of you visually inspect your own tank interior?

Do you visually inspect your own tank(s)?

• Yes, officially

Votes: 37 46.3%
  • Yes, unofficially

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • No, the LDS Does it

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • No, they fill it regardless

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This poll is to see the if the majority of users on SB perform their yearly VIP or if the LDS does it.
Obviously you can 'do it' without being certified, as a certified inspector, have the LDS do it, or ''nobody seems to care''

Thanks!

beauty of privately owned compressors, though when I do vip tanks it is usually because I think something got into them. most of the shops that I frequent don't check for vip stickers which is nice as long as everything is in hydro

Fair enough, unfortunately I don't have an option for you! haha

The ol' "Shake it and see if anything rattles'' test

I can't justify renewing the PSI cert. One day that may change, but since it is only an industry standard not a DOT thing, I don't really care. My bottles stay clean due to known fill stations, and they get cleaned and vip'd properly at hydro. Good enough for me

Not PSI certified but am DSAT gas blender and we went throught O2 cleaning, PP fills, VIP's, etc. I own no aluminum tanks.
I have all my own tank cleaning tools, whips brushes, and a tumbler under construction, so good enough for me to slap my own stickers on my own tanks. My LDS knows it and has no trouble filling my tanks, so I'm golden.

Formerly PSI, never renewed and just buy stickers elsewhere at this point.
Tumble, wash, rinse, dry, VIP, and fill all my own cylinders for over 10yrs now. Rarely I might bring something to a shop if I need to do a large volume of O2 boosting my tiny booster can't handle.

A lot of tech divers inspect there own cylinders and are trained to do so, especially if they've been divng awhile and have accumulated a lot of tanks. I don't see the same in the recreational community. That may skew your results a bit.

Agreed. There are more tech oriented divers here on SB per capita than in the general worldwide diving population that are not online, which skews not only topics like this but also several others.

tech diver, rebreather diver, have my own compressor, booster, and banked gasses. I have over 30 tanks and do everything myself. I am a PSI ceritifed inspector with several renewals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom