How long until I feel normal again after DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kezia

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

After a multi-day live aboard dive trip last week, I was diagnosed with DCS. I did 7 no-deco dives on air, max depth 25m, nothing special about the profiles, no rapid ascents or any missed safety stops. After the 7th dive on Monday, I was extremely tired, had tingling in my hands and felt dizzy and confused. I went to sleep for the rest of the day. Waking up on Tuesday, I was put on oxygen for 4-5 hours, until we got back to the city, and we called DAN and arranged to see a doctor from there.

The doctor found that I had parasthesia, fatigue, and my balance was very poor. I had two sessions in the chamber (tables 6 and then 5), after which the tingling and difference in sensation was gone, and I felt less tired.

I am very grateful for the treatment I received, and the for the support from the hospital and from DAN. But I was just wondering - I still feel tired, and just not right. I'm supposed to be doing a very involved piece of research at work, and I can't read more than a couple of pages without needing to go and lie down. I also find I really need to concentrate to do things like unhook my watch or tighten a screw, and I keep losing my train of thought.

Is this normal? Does it take some time to recover after DCS and hyperbaric treatments? I want to get back to work, but I don't want to push myself and make things worse. I can't seem to clear my head enough to think coherently!

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks in advance :)

Kezia,

Have you been in contact with your treating physician about this? It's unlikely that he/she would choose to put you back in the chamber, but I'm sure that he/she would want to hear about residual neurological symptoms if they weren't caught on your final neurological exam.

Often, hyperbaric treatment brings about complete resolution of DCS symptoms. When this doesn't happen, treatment is typically discontinued when symptoms reach a plateau, i.e. they get to a point where further treatment doesn't help. The good news is that in all likelihood, you will continue to get better until you're asymptomatic. The not-so-good news is it's difficult to tell when that's going to happen. I recommend following up with the hyperbaric physician who treated you, and also with a neurologist who's familiar with diving injuries. Your hyperbaric physician may be able to refer you.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks, DDM - I appreciate your reply. I will get in touch with my doctor if I'm not feeling better soon! The symptoms seem to be lessening this week already.

Thanks again,
Kezia

Back
Top Bottom