How long does a dry suit last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darian Dunn

Reaction score

This is assumed that it is just hung in the closet and not used.

How long do they last if you use them?

Tell you what Darian ... :)

buy two suits, same model, size, etc and send them to
me. :)

I'll put one in closet and use the other. :)

I'll let you know how long they last. :)

Seriously though your inquiry has too many variables:

1) suit material?

2) are you crawling across rocks, slamming into wrecks, etc?

3) do you meticulously maintain your gear?

4) do you dive salt or fresh water?

????

G_M

Originally posted by Darian Dunn

This is assumed that it is just hung in the closet and not used.

How long do they last if you use them?
I'm thinkin' there is an *n't* missing somewhere there...
But I will give it a go:

Depends ~

How are you using it - what kind of diving do you do and what kind of diver are you?

Do you dive in fresh or salt, clean or contaminated, soft bottom/no current or rough bottom/lotsa current, sand or urchins, ect or ect?

Are you a trimmed out kinda diver or a bounce off the bottom kinda diver, a sport diver or working diver, a reef diver or a wreck diver, ect or ect?

How are you taking care of it - how are you cleaning and storing it?

Do you rinse in fresh? Inside rinse as well? Hang to dry well ventilated? Fold and store with zipper closed or hang with zipper open? Hang with standard hanger through neck seal, hang with extra large hanger through neck seal or hang folded in half over pvc pipe rack? Do you store seals with fresh talc, silicone spray or dry? Do you store near electric motors, in sunlight or in a dark room?

I still have my first drysuit... it has hundreds of patchs (literally) and shoe-goo dabbed all over it... it not longer holds water. I keep it because... shoot I don't know why I keep it... I'm gonna go throw the thing away!

I have seen a brand new drysuit stored improperly for a year without being used need new seals. I have seen suits used every day and not rinsed last and last.

My present ultralight trilam is one year old and apart from the barnacle wound (and patch) is perfect. My old gates rubber suit that I had used for 7+ years and sold to a friend who has used it for a year is still perfect. He hardly uses it... I used it hardly :wink:

Shane's three year old DUI CF200 is perfect and he not only uses it diving with me but also geoducking.

It all depends.

It sounds like what you are telling me is:
Buy the best you can afford, take care of it and it will last longer that expected. If for some reason I find myself not diving, store it properly and it will last a long time.

This is for a shell suit.

True?

You gotta hand it to him, the boy learns fast and it only took two postings. :) Just funning with you don’t drowned me ........................Arduous

I am looking at the TCO (total cost of ownership) when it comes to diving. I can afford the equipment, but the upkeep (ongoing expenses) look to be a killer, if you don’t dive every couple weeks.

Today I am learning fast, tomarrow may be different.

I am looking at the TCO (total cost of ownership) when it comes to diving.
Your wisdom impresses me Darian...

Actually the TCO isn't to bad if you take care of your gear and buy the good stuff to begin with. Shell drysuits are acutally cheaper in the long run because no matter how well you take care of them neoprene wetsuits break down with use. Cost per dive is much cheaper in the long run with the shell.

The main secret to not spending a fortune on diving is to stay far far away from tech diving. TCO goes up exponentially.

You really should not complement me like that. My head swells. Then my mask doesn’t fit. It causes all kinds of problem.

I am still looking to go technical (one step at a time).

You really should not complement me like that. My head swells. Then my mask doesn’t fit. It causes all kinds of problem.

I am still looking to go technical (one step at a time).
Oh... well....

Then I take it back....

On both counts :wink:

Back
Top Bottom