How long do steel tanks last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDMD

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
100 HP tanks as an example.......
Let's say I buy a new one and take good care of it (rinse after every dive),
how long will it be before it will fail hydro or dive shops will refuse to fill it due to its age?

Thanks......

The life time of 3 or 4 divers. Really, steel tanks have pretty much an unlimited lifetime if you don't abuse them. And for what it's worth same goes for AL tanks, the advertised useful life is something like 10,000 cycles....now if some uninformed dive shop refuses to fill them, that is another issue.

should be right about when your great-grandchildren quit diving.

Depends on several factors like the quality of the air being put in to the tank, if the tank gets over-filled, if you get it filled where they fash fill, etc.

Taking care of the tank after use is only half the battle. Making sure that the inside is well maintained is the other.

I would expect that a steel tank well cared for should last at least 20 years before shops start refusing to fill it.

As long as you take care of it, I have seen tanks with 3 - 5 hydro stamps on them. They will last a long time. Key on steel tanks, don't run them empty and let water in, have it filled at a reputable shop. plain and simple, moisture in tank leads to rust. We know what happens with that!!

I once saw an industrial gas cylinder, mfg hydro date of 1914, with hydro dates every 5 years after that. It was a 3a2015. It is quite common for these cylinders to last a VERY long time, when care for properly. There is a good chance that if you buy one, it will be diving long after you have finished with the sport.

Awesome news guys as I am in the process of buying my 2nd and 3rd used HP 100 steel tanks manufactured in early 2009....

I appreciate all you input.......:cool3:

forever. My Al tank from 1985 just passed hydro again.

So did mine, it was a 1978 Al80 (and yes, it is the "bad" alloy :wink: ).

My steel 72 was purchased right after I got certified... 1976. I expect my grandkids will be able to use it 30 years from now.

Those two "old" tanks are my favorite tanks. They still have the original valves (one a J-valve).

Best wishes.

My scuba tanks are not old, but I have one of my bank cylinders a 2015 that was made in 1924. It has more hydros on the neck than I care to count.
Jim Breslin

Back
Top Bottom