How long did you wait before you started Solo Diving?

How many dives before you started soloing?

• 0-24

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • 25-49

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • 50-99

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • 100-249

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • 250+

Votes: 13 12.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my mind, with less than 100 dives, you are still learning to dive. It is not a time for solo diving.

I had done over 500 dives before I qualified as a tech diver and started to do solo diving properly. The dive charters in Plymouth, UK, would accept me a solo diver with the tech cert and appropriate kit (doubles).

Even with that experience and training, I had a lot to learn... and was exposed to dangers that I was ignorant of at that time. Perception changes with experience...and it is only with hindsight that we appreciate how inexperienced we once were. I am absolutely positive that in another 10 years I will look back at myself now and undertand how little I knew...

Since those first solo dives, I've done hundreds more....including many solo decompression and/or wreck penetration dives. A few of those I was lucky on! I learnt to second-guess my judgement because of those.... I definitely have a tendancy towards over-confidence.

Some dive instructors state that they are solo diving, due to the lack of a trained buddy etc. I only half-agree with this. It assumes that a student diver would do nothing to assist the instructor and it also forgets that the students have an air-source that the instructor can utilise if required. Whilst a dive student might not pro-actively assist the instructor... they can be directed what to do. At the minimum, they can be directed to "fetch help urgently". A true solo diver has nobody else to direct.

Last edited:
I soloed from my first dive as I was self taught and there were no others divers or instruction available in my area at the time,1957

Probably around 150 dives or so. First solo dives were in shallow lake coves with easy shore entry that I was familiar with. I had over 600 dives before I started solo cave diving.

My first descent on SCUBA was solo back in 1961... but only because we had just one tank and reg. Most of my early dives were solo for the same reason, and the ones that have followed since then are mostly solo as well. I don't advocate solo diving for anyone else... it's just my choice (although I'd give it all up if a lovely and intelligent lady-go-diver were to enter my life).

I had somewhere between 1700 and 1800 dives when I did my first planned solo dive. Probably could've done it much sooner ... but that's about when I got the urge to give it a try ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think it was when I was 14 and had done maybe 10-12 dives with others, certainly less than 20 dives. By 15 I was solo wreck diving in NJ in 130 ft with doubles and a dry suit. Good thing my dad knew very little about diving or he would NEVER have allowed it.

Seems like we keep trying to make diving a black and white activity, and it couldn't be further from that.
For divers that grew up by a coast (or river or whatever body of dive-able water) this solo diving is probably something that happens a lot more naturally than a diver that requires travel of some sort in order to splash.

The questions here is how many dives before solo diving, but reading the board you find threads that actually argue about what defines a dive.

There is such an immense gray area between dives and between divers, besides the "don't hold your breath" any attempt to set up a rule that applies to "everyone" is about as effective as holding water inside a mesh bag.

Is it possible to compare:

1- a diver that goes solo off his backyard to the same location and does an easy dive almost everyday.
with
2- a diver that goes solo to unknown locations and does overhead deco dives once a year.

Obviously each diver needs to meet different skill levels but also HOW each achieves those levels varies between divers.

And that's without taking into account the desire of going solo... I get the feeling that NWGratefulDiver was perfectly capable of going solo sometime before his 1700+ dive.

The day I got my c-card, and that was 34 years ago and I'm still live and well. I think Ana has put it very well. Now I can't speak for any other then me.....things where alot diffrent In the day I got my card (I know younger divers hate to hear this....Tuff) The YMCA that I got my card was also the Y that I did Judo and the same guy the was teaching Judo was doing the diver training and it was like boot camp YOU learned how to dive. Now I had to get a new c-card a few years back so I can tell what it's not like that now, and it's weak, really weak. So do I think that people getting there cards today should go solo right out of open water? No, but but if some one right out of open water was to ask me what he needs to learn to safly do solo diving I would not jump down his throut and screem at him and tell him he has to do 100 dives, I would tell him about the books and DVD's he NEEDS to read and view and the training he needs to do. Just what happens at the 100th dive that all of a sudden makes some one ready for solo diving???? It still comes down to training for solo diving, I mean like at 100 dives dose this mean you know how to deploy a lift bag on a reel? There are some divers that for whatever reson thy have are going to solo dive (no mater how many dives they have) shuld we turn them away cuz they don't meet what we think they shold have as a track record? I,m not worried about giving some one the info,,,,I,m worried about NOT giving the info and then hearing about there death.

This is just what I think about this isue and by no means do I wish a trud tossing.

I was solo on my first dive ever. I was a pre-teen, probably about 10. The lifeguard at our local pool was an ex-seal and he said I could use his gear (placed at the bottom of the 10' area) if I could put it on. I had no formal training but had read a lot on the use of scuba. I proceeded to dive in, put on all the gear and off I went around the pool.

Later in life I was certified. On my first three dives after getting my c-card I had horrible experiences with insta-buddies. I learned all I could about self sufficient diving and have been doing it ever since.

I solo very safe places and don't do a lot of solo exploring. I don't advocate solo for anyone - too many people are not willing to do the work of thinking that is needed to lower the risks of solo. I'm always looking for new information to keep myself safe, solo diving is not an achievement but an ongoing learning experience (IMO).

Back
Top Bottom