How long after a dive for symptoms to show?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimmyA24 once bubbled...
I am just curious on how long after a dive where a diver get DCS will he show DCS symptoms?

Jimmy

Symptoms appear within about 3 hours in 95% of cases.

50% of cases will manifest themselves within 1/2 hour.

R..

about yourself and whether or not you took a hit from diving yesterday, you should probably call DAN at +1-919-684-2948 and talk to them about your symptoms.

DCS is not something to play around with and if you are manifesting symptoms that seem DCS-like, delaying proper treatment can lead to permanent disablilty.

If you were just asking the question for information's sake, ignore the above and listen to Diver0001.

Rachel

Dear Jimmy:

Time Line for DCS

As mentioned above, most of the time, symptoms will appear relatively soon after surfacing. The bad news is that this often confuses the issue. Many divers have been moving their gear (that in itself could exacerbate DCS) and they attribute sore, tired limbs to the activity when in reality it is “the bends.”

Additionally, some divers will have some beer following the day’s last dive, and the alcohol will tend to mask the DCS symptoms in many cases. The diver awakes after sleeping off the “brews” and finds that s/he has a very sore shoulder or knee. :coke:

The alert, well-hydrated diver is the best line of defense against DCS.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :grad:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

So how long do symptoms persist? I have returned from a dive for more than a week but still have some soreness in the joints. Doesn't really feel painful, but some sorts of aches. Should I be concern since it has been so long ?

Hi joanne:

“Bends” Pain

The pain in the area of a joint is referred to as joint-pain DCS or, in common parlance, “the bends.” It can persist for several days and can result in a couple of sleepless nights (so I have heard). The persistence is most likely the result of processes that occur when a gas phase is present in connective tissue. The gas will lead to edema and swelling and pain that persists even when recompression is applied (oxygen will help). Because pain is not quickly abated by pressure, the feeling is that we have something other than a simple “bubble” since that should be quickly compressed.

This problem would not be present a week following a dive, as I understand it.

Neurological Problems :(

These can persist because the nerves actually die if treatment is not instigated soon enough. Pain is not associated but rather one has numbness and often he inability to move a limb. With the exception of death itself, neurologic residuals are the most unwanted of diving problems.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have also seen a doctor briefly and he also raised that it would not be around so long.

So it could be me catching a chill or some muscles aches.

Thanks again ! Looking forward to my next dive :)

Dr Deco once bubbled...
Dear Jimmy:

Time Line for DCS

As mentioned above, most of the time, symptoms will appear relatively soon after surfacing. The bad news is that this often confuses the issue. Many divers have been moving their gear (that in itself could exacerbate DCS) and they attribute sore, tired limbs to the activity when in reality it is ?the bends.?

Unfortunately the corrollary to that one is that often divers have been moving heavy gear, and now they have a minor ache, and there really is no way of knowing if it's DCS or not. If I ran to the chamber everytime that happens I'd be doing that for every day I go diving.

Unfortunately, AFAIK there is no sure fire way of knowing if something is DCS or not...short of going for a chamber ride, of course :)

Braunbehrens:

If it is joint-pain only DCS (the bends), basically, you are correct. It is difficult to tell. In the laboratory, we have the benefit of Doppler bubbles detection for the limb in question and the ability to repressurized (a test of pressure). Even then, there is sometimes a judgment call.

One term researchers use for this questionable DCS is a “niggle.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom