How Large of a Lift Bag do I need when Scalloping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NHColdwater

Registered
Reaction score
I want to purchase a lift bag to lift 2 50-100lb bags of scallops at one time, or a lift bag for each one seperately. What lift capacity do I need under each scenario. The bags are probably around 75 lbs + or - each. The LDS says a 50lb bag will do both, but I thougth that sounded odd.

Thanks.

NHColdwater:
I want to purchase a lift bag to lift 2 50-100lb bags of scallops at one time, or a lift bag for each one seperately. What lift capacity do I need under each scenario. The bags are probably around 75 lbs + or - each. The LDS says a 50lb bag will do both, but I thougth that sounded odd.

Thanks.

What LDS did you ask?

Do you remember Archimedies Principle? Figure out how much water your bag of scallops is displacing and if you know the weight of the loaded bag, you will get your answer.
For example:
Loaded with scallops, if your bag displaces 1 cubic foot of water and weighs 75 pounds
1 cubic foot of water weighs 64 pounds.
75-64 means you would only need 11 pounds of lift.

I know these numbers are not realistic in terms of a bag of scallops, just trying to keep it simple.........

Whats the lift capacity of your BC? and how much do you weigh?

Lifting an object underwater is easier than above the surface.

The 50# bag should do the trick. But I would, and have twice, get the 100# bag. It is barely larger, barely more expensive, and you might find something cool some day that you will need the extra lift for.

General rule is not to use a bigger bag than you need, but the general rule applies mainly to not using a huge bag to lift a medium-weight object, so you don't launch something that is a substantial hazard.

theskull

I always carry a 100# lift bag with me on every dive and if it doesn't do the trick then I use a Carter 250# lift bag. It has never failed me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom