How is the TG-5 with photographing big stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougieG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Seems like it's claim to fame is TG-5's ability to get really good pictures of small stuff. What about the picture quality for big stuff? Thanks,

Its not bad, but haven't compared it to other compacts. Compare to the nicer mirrorless cameras, the TG5 starts to show its weakness for the wide angle stuff. This may be due to the smaller senor which has less dyamic range.

Seems like it's claim to fame is TG-5's ability to get really good pictures of small stuff. What about the picture quality for big stuff? Thanks,

I have been using the TG5 for a couple of weeks after six or seven years of using a Canon S95. I am finding that I can get better pictures of bigger stuff but I have to work harder to get them. With the S95 I used Tv mode and had one touch manual white balance so it was very quick and easy to get good results. I am finding the TG5 harder to use. Obviously I am not as used to it but getting the settings right for each photo takes a lot longer. When I do get them right then I think the photos are better but it is more by luck than judgement at the moment. I can use the same settings for two photos and get totally different results when I can not really see what has changed.

In poor light it seems quite a lot better. I can set the ISO to 1000 and the pictures are a lot less grainy than they were on the S95.

(I am only using ambient light or the internal flash - I do not have any strobes)

It's OK...I am definitely seeing the limitations with manatees or sharks coming at the camera. You definitely want to have the wide angle (wet) lens and 2 strobes for that.

Here's a very short video clip of a shark encounter on December 19 in Jupiter, FL, originally filmed in TG5 4K video; the lens was as far zoomed "out" as it will go and you can actually see how close I had to be for the two relatively big video lights to light the shark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom