How is the Diving on Maui during December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am thinking about taking the family to Maui during Christmas Break? What will the diving conditions be like? Is it worth it, or should we go somewhere else. We have gone multiple times...usually in August.

TIA

Otter

December is north swells, the entire south end should be fantastic.

In December you might find some storms moving through. It can screw up the shore diving if that's your focus. When the storms come through, most of the dive boats go south - LaPeruse and farther. While the diving's not as great as it is in August, it's still OK. Normally the water clears a day or two after the storm has passed.

Actually, we were thinking about going for Christmas this year, but a lot of the places we like are already booked and the rates are just a tad high. So, we're going to try Cozumel over the Holidays. Never been there. I think we're gonna like it!

Eric. :tree: :tree: :tree:

Is Ahihi far enough South, or do I need to keep going?

Craig

I doubt you'll even have to go that far. Just depends on the storms but if it's just the normal winter north swell you won't even need to go below Kihei to have great diving.

Oh and Molokini's backwall will be fantastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom