How is the dive at Vandenburg in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a ton of experience but I have been on the Duane for 4 trips and the Spiegle 4 trips, the Vandy twice. We have been lucky and the conditions have always been very good. From my understanding the Vandenberg can get sporty with the currents and one of our dives the viz dropped from 80 ft to about 30. We like the wrecks out of Key Largo cause we tend to see better critters. We are going down in July and are diving through out all the keys and we choose to do the Spiegle again.

Hi Gierke. Do you remember what months you dive and the conditions were very good?

Hi @Jake 10

Don't forget the Bibb also.

View attachment 665808

The Bibb is an excellent wreck but it's very difficult to dive when it experiences current - which is most of the time. There is almost no where to hide from the current as she's laying on her side. Because of that, a lot of trips out to the Bibb end up getting cancelled, at least in my experience (in favor for the Duane or Spiegel).

Hi Scubadada, thank you for your feedback. Do you know if the currents are stronger in some months and moderate or no-current in other months? I understand the currents also depend on atmospheric phenomena's in the Gulf and Atlantic Ocean, and currently there is low activity on tropical storms and hurricanes.
Sorry, I have never noticed an association between the currents and month of the year. You might want to contact a few of the local operators and ask them. They may have a record of number of cancelled trips to the various wrecks by month due to excessive current.

I do quite a bit of drift diving in SE Florida. I don't think there is a relation between current and month. The current is usually north, between nothing and ripping. We occasionally have south currents, also varying in strength. I wish I better understood the determinates of our currents

Now, the winds and sea conditions, that's another story, a bit more predictable by time of year :)

Vandy is a great dive when the conditions are favorable, which is most of the time.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom