How is Bali in compare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
I might fly to Bali, but posting it here as most of my dives I made in TH.
I read several times from cold water. First I thought nonsense but after the 3rd time I think maybe there is cold water. (than I wouldn't take my shorty saving weight).
I read a few times from real strong currency which are dangerous.

Is it more difficult/dangerous in general (in compare with Thailand)

Or I read as well from one place that you take one tank for 5 USD and go diving....
Is it just that there is less regulations causing more accidents??

Simply put the diving in Bali is awesome.

Just like Thailand there are operators and conditions that vary greatly.

In the south Nusa islands there can be big currents and yes colder water ,but there is also Mantas and Mola molas .Crystal bay is also great for diving.

East coast of Bali offers warmer water the liberty wreck in Tulamben a shore dive that is simply amazing, the whole coast there Ahmed etc is great for diving.

further round there are more spots critter diving near lovina mimic octopus etc and the islands in the the north west are worth a look.

in Tulamben Lots of critters and the contrast of black sand and vibrant corals is great for photographers.

Just hire a car and drive there yourself (except for Nusa islands)plenty of places to stay and plenty of dive operators.

Pm me if you want to hear who I dived with.

Bali is great !!!!! I do at least trip to both Phuket and Bali each year and i prefer Bali.

Some of the dives in Bali can be quite challenging but if you book with a reputable dive operator, they will take good care of you. down tows at Crystal Bay and Blue Corner. Manta Point is a shallow dive but strong surge. These however are 3 of the most exhilarating dives around Nusa Penida. Last time i did Manta Point, there were 15 mantas there. The 3/5 knots drift dives at SD or Sakenan are also very exhilarating and if you follow the dive guides, it's not dangerous. ther water temperature can get down to 16 degrees C tho' the average is around 20/22 degrees.

On the mainland, the water is warmer and the dives are also very good but different. the dive sites off Padang Bai namely Biaha, Tepekong, and Mimpang can be very challenging. Seraya and menjanan offers easier diving but not the pelagics.

Diving in Thailand is mainly off Phuket and I prefer to do LOB's. Generally easier dives except for Ko Tachai or Koh BOn.

Overall I prefer Bali.

Is it more difficult/dangerous in general (in comparison with Thailand)?
Is it just that there is less regulations causing more accidents??

Diving can be as safe or as dangerous as you want it to be regardless of where you are. If you set up and prepare your equipment properly, if you listen to the dive briefing carefully and if you feel confident you can do the dive safely then mostly you should be fine. If, during your dive, you find that you are struggling, breathing hard, not having fun and in general not up to it (anymore) than make the wise decision to abort your dive and surface.

I don't think you should try to compare Phuket (or Thailand) with Bali. It's like comparing apples with eggs really. They both taste fine but one grows on a tree and the other comes out of a chicken...

:chicken:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom