How Hot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littlejohn

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
With summer coming soon I was wondering how hot a tank would get i n the trunk of a car?
I dive HP tanks so starting at 3400 psi at room temp, how high will the psi go in the heat of summer.

140 degrees is a reasonable estimate for the temperature inside a car trunk.

The math for boyle's law is a simple ratio, but you have to use an absolute temperature scale.

70 degrees F is 539 degrees on the Rankin scale. So 140 degrees F = 609 degrees R.

If you divide 3400 psi by 539 and then multiply that number by 609 you should get the pressure at 140 degrees F (609 R) of 3841 psi. That is a 441 psi increase but it is still well within the limits of the tank and burst disc as the test pressure for a 3400 psi e series tank is (I am pretty sure) 3/2 or 1.5 times the service pressure - which would be 5100 psi. The burst disc pressure is required to be in a range of 90-100% of that pressure (4590 to 5100 psi).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom