How far north from Ft. Lauderdale to good day boat diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I’m more mild mannered than most. I find most of the dive boats down here do a pretty good job given what they have to deal with. I’ve built relationships with a few being a regular. They know I’ve got my act together and they leave me alone and let me do my thing. For me it’s far easier and cheaper than owning my own boat. Honestly the thought of the costs and hassles of owning a boat makes my stomach turn. But to each their own for sure. You gotta find what works for you. Everyone has different motivations.
For me, owning my own boat is a not only a bargin, but a great value. I can only imagine being on a dive boat trapped next to some of the clueless know-it-alls that seem to flock to the sport. No, thank you I am more than happy to enjoy the benefits of boat ownership.

For me, owning my own boat is a not only a bargin, but a great value. I can only imagine being on a dive boat trapped next to some of the clueless know-it-alls that seem to flock to the sport. No, thank you I am more than happy to enjoy the benefits of boat ownership.

I would be curious to know the "all in" cost of that "value". Have you ever calculated your true "all in" cost per dive? Including the boat, trailer, vehicle, insurance, fuel, maintenance, regular upkeep and storage? My guess would be that the "value" you enjoy is not cheap. It certainly isn't something I have any interest in whatsoever. But I know there are others for whom it's a major life choice. Different strokes for different folks.

Hi @nolatom

Yes, the Gulf Stream is very important for the quality of diving in SE Florida, perhaps especially due to water temperature and climate. However, the western wall of the Gulf Stream is currently 10-14 miles off the coast from Fort Lauderdale to Jupiter. There are many factors contributing to the local currents we have on our reefs. As you know, not infrequently, we have south currents, sometimes very brisk south currents.

I dive in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and West Palm quite frequently. I find your comments regarding West Palm and Jupiter to be a simplistic generalization. Unless the dives are limited to advanced divers, there will be OW divers of all experience levels on the charters. There are easier and more challenging dives at all the locations. Currents can vary from none to ripping. Some operators put a guide in the water, with others, you are on your own with your own flag. Most of the charters allow lobster hunting in season and pole spearing of lionfish. Many charters also allow spearfishing.

The diving in SE Florida is very good, there is certainly something for nearly everyone

My last sampling of Jupiter, West Palm, and Boynton Beach Trip Report - Finally, back in SE Florida

I would be curious to know the "all in" cost of that "value". Have you ever calculated your true "all in" cost per dive? Including the boat, trailer, vehicle, insurance, fuel, maintenance, regular upkeep and storage? My guess would be that the "value" you enjoy is not cheap. It certainly isn't something I have any interest in whatsoever. But I know there are others for whom it's a major life choice. Different strokes for different folks.
Whatever the cost, it's well worth it. Aside from diving, I like to run to the Bahamas, especially around this time of the year when the Yellowfin Tuna are running. We also like to go down the the keys and fish and dive around the Islamorada area. What does it cost? What does it matter? No question it takes money for fuel, insurance, maintenance, detailing and let's not even talk about fishing tackle. LOL . But it's what I like to do. For me it's affordable. I can say this, if I didn't have a boat and had to rely on the cattle boats, I'd give up the sport.

Whatever the cost, it's well worth it. Aside from diving, I like to run to the Bahamas, especially around this time of the year when the Yellowfin Tuna are running. We also like to go down the the keys and fish and dive around the Islamorada area. What does it cost? What does it matter? No question it takes money for fuel, insurance, maintenance, detailing and let's not even talk about fishing tackle. LOL . But it's what I like to do. For me it's affordable. I can say this, if I didn't have a boat and had to rely on the cattle boats, I'd give up the sport.
For some reason I am reminded of a quote that is apocryphal, but usually attributed to J. P. Morgan. He was supposedly on his yacht when a guest asked how much a yacht like that cost, and Morgan supposedly replied, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

Anything is well worth the cost if that cost is but a trifle to you. For others, not so much.

Fair enough. It’s certainly what works for you and you can afford it. Good for you!

As an alternative point of view, for many of us, if we had to own a boat to dive we would give up the sport.

Fair enough. It’s certainly what works for you and you can afford it. Good for you!

As an alternative point of view, for many of us, if we had to own a boat to dive we would give up the sport.

This isn't a binary subject. I don't have current numbers of the cost of my dives, actually stoped figuring them out after the amortization of the purchase was completed.
Lately i don't even know what's the going rate for a 2 tank dive on a charter, but I assure you there are many ways to be a boater.
My husband and I were in the same wavelength 100% so, for long before we skipped fancy everything.
When able to finally move back to SE Florida, the request to the realtor was to find a place in the water with ocean access and preferible indoor plumbing.

In a way is very similar to have a car, you can have a very fancy one, that goes to get detailed twice a month, requires a special mechanic and you can actually see the fuel gauge move down as you press the gas pedal.... Or you can have a 10 year old toyota something, that works great with an oil change couple of times a year.... Or something in between the 2

I have a friend in Florida who is an incredibly avid fisherman. He goes out in his boat day after day after day. Many times, he doesn't get a thing. Other times he gets some kind of mediocre fish or two, say a Spanish mackerel. Sometimes he gets something really nice. He frequently uses live bait, and the cost of the live bait probably exceeds the average value of the fish they bring in. He uses expensive lures sometimes, and they are often lost. So, without taking into account the cost of the boat, the gas, the maintenance, and the dockage fees, he would certainly be better off financially if he went to the grocery store and picked up a fillet or two.

But if he did that, he would not have spent those hours on the ocean with his boat. He would not have the joy of cooking up that occasional beauty he brought in that morning. To him it is more than worth it.

How about if you already owned a boat and you’re already in southern Florida? It depends on where you are and what you’ve already been doing.

Adding diving to the mix (fishing, diving, leisure boating, etc.). I’d much rather dive out of my own boat than be herded around. It feels like Disney to me. We do what we want, go where we want and for how long we want.

A short boat ride to the Bahamas in your own boat isn’t that difficult and it’s on your own time, with your own family and friends, and for how long you want.

But if you’re going to the Red Sea from North America, then enjoy the dive tours because it’s unique and something at the other end of the globe that’s a priceless experience.

You’re eliminating what other people like, which is the enjoyment of boating in the ocean as well. My wife and I will dive, while my son mans the boat and my daughters swim, snorkel or sun bathe on the sun pad. Then after the dive we’ll cruise the ICW and dock at a restaurent.

So if you don’t want a boat then that’s your perogative, or it may have something to do with where you actually live? And if you live in Florida then maybe you just don’t like boating to begin with?

You’re being critical of people who also enjoy boating. They get to do several things that they love at the same time.

I got into diving because I realized that there’s a universe below that I hadn’t explored AND I also had a boat that I can also use multi-dimensionally. My two cents.

How about if you already owned a boat and you’re already in southern Florida? It depends on where you are and what you’ve already been doing. Adding diving to the mix (fishing, diving, leisure boating, etc.). I’d much rather dive out of my own boat than be herded around. It feels like Disney to me. We do what we want, go where we want and for how long we want.

A short boat ride to the Bahamas in your own boat isn’t that difficult et either and it’s on your own time, with your own family and friends, and for how long you want.

But if you’re going to the Red Sea from North America, then enjoy the dive tours because it’s unique and something at the other end of the globe that’s a priceless experience.

You’re eliminating what other people like, which is the enjoyment of boating in the ocean as well. My wife and I will dive, while my son mans the boat and my daughters swim, snorkel or sun bathe on the sun pad. Then after the dive we’ll cruise the ICW and dock at a restaurent.

So if you don’t want a boat then that’s your perogative, or it may have something to do with where you actually live?

You’re being critical of people who also enjoy boating. My two cents.

Nope, not at all. You’ve not been on the forum long enough to see the history. Some posters like to constantly belittle (my words) those of us that use charters. My only point in that post was that some of us use charters by choice. Not everyone who can afford a boat wants a boat. That was my only point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom