How far north from Ft. Lauderdale to good day boat diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatyme is under new ownership and has some very good captains/dm’s
Scubatyme used to be strictly a shallower water operation that especially catered to lobster hunters during that season. Under the new ownership they are doing a full variety of dives, including technical dives.

Dixie Divers is also under relatively new ownership, about which I know nothing.

South Florida Diving Headquarters has a variety of pros and cons. It has 3 boats--two big, flat catamarans (Corinthians) and a smaller old, wooden single hull boat. A number of people do not like any of those 3. I had a few reef dives off of them where a captain I had never seen before or after dropped us into sand, and we never did find the reef. Most of the time I used them over the years, though, I had no issues. They run their tech dives off the small wooden boat, and I really do not like the idea of kitting up and diving off of that very limited space, that is also very tippy (a friend of mine was injured on one of those tips), and very wet (open transom--waves cover the deck while you are preparing to enter the water). Some people are boycotting them for their very active role in forcing Pompano Dive Center out of business.

yeah did the hydro and sucre with scubatyme a few weeks ago they have a tech thursday or friday thing going on

What’s the issue with South Florida Dive HQ? I’ve never had a problem with them..

Charter boats have theirs ways, and sometimes the same boat is different from one day to the next, depending on crew an even different passengers can change the dynamics of the day.

For me the majority pretty much suck, and I blame the divers for asking to be herded. It doesn't matter, they don't cater to me. Now if you like South Florida HQ then that's great, even if they were not so great for others. You don't want everyone to like your boat and crowd it, right? It is great that we have many options for charters in the area.

Some divers get used to a boat or a group of boats, they patronize those boats to the point they become welcomed regulars, after a while they probably get different treatment than the 1st-timer that shows up trying to figure the ways of the boat.
Before I stopped using charters I liked Tony Coulter with the Diversity and Conrad with MissConduct. They both treated me like an adult, that was 15-18 years ago . No clue as their ways these days, I hear them on the radio some times, they are still out there so a portion of divers like them.

Thanks for all of the very helpful replies so far! If it's worth the consideration (yeah, it is), I have this real preference for marine life over wrecks. I dive to see pretty fishies and corals ... there, I said it out loud and proud of it! :wink: So while I appreciate ALL I learn about the diving there, and respect any/all divers' likes, I'm likely to steer away from operations that put wrecks high on their dive itinerary.

Charter boats have theirs ways, and sometimes the same boat is different from one day to the next, depending on crew an even different passengers can change the dynamics of the day.

For me the majority pretty much suck, and I blame the divers for asking to be herded. It doesn't matter, they don't cater to me. Now if you like South Florida HQ then that's great, even if they were not so great for others. You don't want everyone to like your boat and crowd it, right? It is great that we have many options for charters in the area.

Some divers get used to a boat or a group of boats, they patronize those boats to the point they become welcomed regulars, after a while they probably get different treatment than the 1st-timer that shows up trying to figure the ways of the boat.
Before I stopped using charters I liked Tony Coulter with the Diversity and Conrad with MissConduct. They both treated me like an adult, that was 15-18 years ago . No clue as their ways these days, I hear them on the radio some times, they are still out there so a portion of divers like them.

I'm guessing you stopped boat diving some time ago, then?

I like reefs better also. I get to see interesting creatures and bottom formations , then when things go my way I get to bring something for dinner.

I'm guessing you stopped boat diving some time ago, then?
Oh no ... Boat diving is all I do, but only from a private boat.
And yes I understand charters are needed for many people, i just couldn't handle them any more, so i aligned my priorities in a way that I could avoid charters.

Oh no ... Boat diving is all I do, but only from a private boat.
And yes I understand charters are needed for many people, i just couldn't handle them any more, so i aligned my priorities in a way that I could avoid charters.
Her boat is in her back yard.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom