How far down can you trim neck seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got latex drysuit neck seals from DRIS. They're installed on my Fusion and I gave the tech my neck measurement (14.5 inches) but the thing is REALLY REALLY tight, to the point where I know my carotids are being compressed and I'm feeling lightheaded and swallowing feels bad.

There are 8 lines in the neck seal that you're supposed to trim along. I've gone through 4 of them and still feel a bit tight. Can I safely go down to the last line and still have a watertight fit?

Feeling your carotids pulsating or feeling lightheaded is way too tight. :shocked2:

Cutting too much off can make a seal leak, so be careful. Go one line or only half a line at a time. I prefer my seal to be slightly tight, even slightly too tight at first. In the water, it may fit better. It may stretch out in a few weeks, too.

The lines are only guides, so, yes, you can use the last one or even go beyond it, if needed. Excessive tightness should be avoided. Mild tightness is fine. If you think you're going to go past the last line, you might use a marking pen to lay down a straight line to guide the next cut. Although a straight cut isn't critical, it makes the edge stronger and easier to position on the neck. :)

Dave C

Last edited:
Normally you can cut down a neck seal to the lowest ring mark but..... the more latex you have against your skin the better sealing. You can actually stretch the seal opening if you put it over a football or something similar. Be careful not to stretch too much, if you first stretch it too much you are lost.

Casper
gummifabrikken.com

I agree with the above......you can cut down to the last one, but if you don't have a good seal, it does no good to have it that short. It may get too loose and not seal.

How did you measure your neck? Did you pull the measuring tape tight when measuring or was it loose?

If you want, just send the suit back, and we will install the next size up for you :wink: You can even wait until after you cut it down, see how it goes and let me know. We will put on the next size for free if it doesn't seal right.

Let me know as we won't leave you with an ill fitting seal!!!

---Sorry it took so long to see this thread.....PM me if you have any more issues or with what you want to do

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom