How does your dive boot fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcdoopy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Of course I am a half size and most boots do not come in half sizes. Is it better to go a size down and have a tight fit, or a size up and have more room?

I haven't dove in years and have forgotten about which would be better. Thanks!

Are we talking drysuit boot or wetsuit booties?
The reason I ask is that I could easily see getting the larger size to accommodate thick socks inside the drysuit.

Regardless of the type of boots, there's no substitute for actually trying them on. Sizing varies by manufacturer. Your foot might fit perfectly in a whole size. Keep in mind that you can always wear a neoprene sock (or any sock really) to take up the extra slack in a boot that's slightly too big. This has the additional benefits of adding warmth and friction-protection.

Wearing boots that are too small can scrunch your toes and lead to cramping.

In general, I would go with the half size larger. Too tight a boot is uncomfortable and detracts from the dive experience. You can always add a pair of neoprene socks (2mm or 3mm) if you have to and this adds more warmth (you cannot have too warm feet:D). I wear 2mm neoprene socks (low cut) with my 7mm boots. Great for cold water. All this said, the previous poster is right. Boot sizes vary greatly by manufacturer. IT is best to try them on.

I would go with the larger size. Better to slosh around a little than have your toes cramped and blistered. If we are speaking neoprene, your feet won't move once your fins are on.

Go down the half size, and get a snugger fit. Not like you're going to be walking around in them much, so you are placing little weight on the foot, and the boots have a certain amount of stretch. You do not want something jamming against your big toe, though.

Having said that, there's a lot of size variance in dive boots by manufacturer, and putting the boot on is the only way to determine fit. I would go for snug fit, rather than loose, but maybe that's just me.

I wear size 14, and was hoping the Mares size 13 would fit ok. Nope, it was too big, and the size 12 is a perfect fit.

Bubbletrubble - I was talking about wetsuit booties. It seems like most of you say looser fit.

Kilili makes a good case for snugger fit, but I also don't want to be uncomfortable. So I guess if it touches the end of the boot, but isn't jammed up against it, I am OK.

I bought the boots online, and would hate to exchange them for a size up only to have them too big and loose on me. Then I'd end up swapping them back, and the shipping back and forth would probably end up costing more than the boots!

I guess it can go either way. Thanks for the advice guys :)

I bought the boots online, and would hate to exchange them for a size up only to have them too big and loose on me. Then I'd end up swapping them back, and the shipping back and forth would probably end up costing more than the boots!
And that would be the disadvantage of purchasing from an online retailer gear that needs to fit you. Most online scuba shops (the good ones anyway) have some sort of policy that guarantees customer satisfaction and the fit of various items. Contact the shop and ask how to proceed. You wouldn't be the first person to ask such a thing.

If the boots you end up getting are slightly too big, you really should consider getting thin neoprene socks. They're inexpensive and they work great for reducing friction between your foot and the boot.

Back
Top Bottom