How does seasickness medication actually work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paschen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi gang
Was on a liveaboard on the weekend - and during a rough crossing between islands I got to wondering how the medication I was taking actually worked.
I mean I am sure that the drugs do stuff - hence why we take them, but I am interested in understanding how.
It was a great way to pass the time but now back on dry land I am incredibly curious to know more.
Cheers
Pas
EDIT: I should also mention that I looked up Seasickness and Dramamine on the web but it didn't tell me how it all worked to stop the seasickness.

I think it works by "suppressing" the movement of the cilia in your (inner) ear. It's those little hairs moving about that help you maintain balance and orientation in a world of motion.

The cause of motion-sickness is that your cilia are reacting to the movement while your eyes and brain also try to compensate. That's why if you close your eyes, or look at a stationary object (like the horizon) the ill-feeling is (somewhat) lessened.

Assuming it was dramamine you were taking, it appears to have a dual mechanism of action. It suppresses the chemoreceptor in the brain that is often responsible for the feeling of nausea, and it also suppresses the signals from the middle ear that arise from motion. We commonly use Dramamine (meclizine) to treat labyrinthitis, a condition of overactivity of the middle ear that presents with people feeling severe vertigo and, as a result, nausea and vomiting. It is more or less effective. If meclizine doesn't work, the next step is a benzodiazepine like Valium, which clearly isn't an option for a diver.

TSandM:
We commonly use Dramamine (meclizine) to treat labyrinthitis, a condition of overactivity of the middle ear that presents with people feeling severe vertigo and, as a result, nausea and vomiting.
=======================================
Meclizine is the active ingredient in Bonine.

Dramamine actually contains dimenhydrinate, which is a drug closely related to diphenhydramine (the compound in Benedryl)

'Slogger

I stand corrected !!

'Slogger

If it doesn't work, you may experience the slightly unpleasant symptom of tossing your cookies off the back of the boat, in which case, the crew will appear to be sympathetic and compassionate, while making jokes behind your back about lima bean omelettes with chocolate sauce for a surface interval snack.

paschen:
how the medication I was taking actually worked.

*snicker* well.. I wouldn't know how they work... but I DO know that none of em work on me... yuck!!

TSandM:
Assuming it was dramamine you were taking, it appears to have a dual mechanism of action. It suppresses the chemoreceptor in the brain that is often responsible for the feeling of nausea, and it also suppresses the signals from the middle ear that arise from motion. We commonly use Dramamine (meclizine) to treat labyrinthitis, a condition of overactivity of the middle ear that presents with people feeling severe vertigo and, as a result, nausea and vomiting. It is more or less effective. If meclizine doesn't work, the next step is a benzodiazepine like Valium, which clearly isn't an option for a diver.
hi tsm, i would like to know more of scopalimine patches, as they work so so well!!! though on my last live aboard to the channel islands in feb-06 while driving to santa barbera i felt my left eye was blured and strange feeling, once on board had to .... restroom, while standing there looked in mirror and saw a huge dialation in left eye, called the no. on package and they said i was fine , and must have rubbed that eye after not washing hands after handeling patch. what is the story there??? sorry if off topic guys!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom