How does one deal with an instructor that makes them uncomfortable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
A friend of mine is doing their PADI OW training right now and isn't having a great time. We've discussed what's going on and I'm pretty shocked and disappointed. I remember my OW instructors being so good that we opted to do the open water dives in frigid water with our instructors, rather than finish in warm clear water on vacation. I was hoping my friend would have the same experience but that doesn't seem to be the case.

My friend is a school teacher so they have experience with teaching and communicating lessons, which is an important point when it comes to the discussion.

The non specific issues at hand:
  • condescending attitude
  • failure to explain skills to be performed before diving (confined water dives), multiple times
  • talking bad about other divers known to us that don't agree with the instructors thinking
  • provably false information about gear (minor but really weird)
  • talking bad about previous students
  • failure to keep agreed upon schedule
There may be some others I'm forgetting but he general problem is that my friend is not comfortable and is having a bad time. So how does my friend get out of this with credit for work completed, so they can finish elsewhere? This is a PADI course.

[throwaway account for obvious reasons]

I would leave the place as soon as i can, try speaking to a different club and explain them the situation they might be able to help in terms of getting credit for what youve done.
I don't see any reason to continue there , even if that means loosing the credit so far.

A dive course should be a fun experience to remember and the instructor is supposed to make you feel confident and comfortable in the water,.

Crazy to continue on with this DM! Move on....

There’s a great post by @The Chairman on a student’s bill of rights. Those concerns are an indication to me that the instructor may not have the right stuff for teaching

Not enough info to advise best course. Is this through a shop, or through a private instructor? If a shop, is the instructor an owner, or an employee? Hopefully an appeal to an owner is an option.

Possible refund issues aside, an outstanding balance, non return of rental gear, etc. is the only valid reason for a PADI shop/member to withhold a referral.
Have the work signed off in the logbook, or get a photocopy of the student folder.

Now, taking your description of the situation at face value, I would also question the quality of the training to date and expect some remediation for the work already completed if switching instructors.

No-brainer...find a new instructor! Your friend should be able to find someone who will give her/him credit once she/he demonstrates required skills.

So how does my friend get out of this with credit for work completed, so they can finish elsewhere? This is a PADI course.
YES! Your friend can finish elsewhere...AND SHOULD! Without commenting on the instructor or facility, if a student diver is not comfortable, that student diver should make immediate changes, just like a certified diver who is uncomfortable on a dive. Sometimes even very good instructors just don't have a teaching style or personality that meshed with certain students, and that's ok. Its not ok to continue with those types of issues.
PADI has a referral process that is widely used.

From the 2018 PADI Instructor Manual
"Referral is the process of providing training documentation to another PADI Instructor when a student diver is part-way
through a course and wants to finish the course at another location."

Your friend should be able to get credit for all academics and confined water (pool) dives they did.

I hope this helps

Why is your account "Throwaway" seems like you have valid concerns I don't see the "obvious reason". am I missing something?
Valid concern that the OP will be bad-mouthed by the instructor who is bad-mouthing previous students.
My opinion is don’t throw good money after bad; walk away and start over with an instructor/dive shop that others recommend as a positive experience.

Ask to have a referral or just start over. Life's too short for crappy instructors. If you feel like venting you can complain to their agency...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom