How do YOU use the compass on a Teric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_ledford

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I know how to make the compass work (I think), so I don't need directions to push the bottom right button, etc.

This probably applies to other wrist mounted computers as well that just have a north mark for a compass.

I'm wondering how people actually use it functionally. I think it is mildly useful to set a "go back to shore heading" but it otherwise not very user friendly.

If I am at the surface and trying to determine the heading of the thing I'm navigating to, by the time I line up the compass, look up at the object, and reverify, the computer has switched back from giving a numerical heading to just a north arrow. I then have to start over.

If I know I have to swim at 40 degrees from my current position to reach my target, the same thing tends to happen. Actually last time I tried that, I could get the compass to read 10 degrees, I'd shift angle a little bit, then it would jump to 90 degrees. I'd move back the other way, and it would jump to 350 degrees, then switch back to the north arrow. Push some buttons and try again. After about 5 minutes I that, I gave up. I wasn't moving 90 degrees, I was moving slowly, I didn't have it tilted. I tried swimming a little bit away from where I was in case I was getting magnetic deviation from something. I had nothing else on my wrist that would cause deviation. It just wasn't working.

So how are people actually using the integrated compass? Is mine broken? Is there a way to set the duration of the heading that I haven't found?

I don’t use the floating arrow, I have the last box in the middle row set to give °’s and just use that, no button pushing and no math.
D6DAF57D-0A25-44B7-AF9E-C79424F6BE66.jpeg

My Perdix AI has one and I rarely use it. I always have a Suunto SK7 compass with me. I far prefer it. The very few times I've used the digital compass it is simply to get a bearing. Make sure I'm heading north or heading east for example. Although these days that's about all I do with my SK7 as well. The sites I dive I know well enough that I simply need to know which way a given direction is and I can then take it from there.

I'm very fortunate to be diving off a coast that is nearly parallel to North

I know that if things get tricky, my best option is to keep heading 270 degrees (towards the coast).

And a lot of our dives are either around a pinnacle and therefore where you ascend is irrelevant and a DSMB helps.
With wild reefs, its the same. I ascend with a DSMB.

In instances where I feel I've lost orientation, I'll simply head 270 degrees towards the shore.

I think the Teric's floating compass around the edge is it's best feature. Certainly the one I use the most. I carry my Teric as a secondary computer with a CCR connected Perel2 as primary. I don't usually set headings but just pay attention to which way is north and orient on that. It's more visible than a standard compass and not subject to what angle it's held at and does not need to be held in front of my face to be useful.

My Perdix AI has one and I rarely use it. I always have a Suunto SK7 compass with me. I far prefer it. The very few times I've used the digital compass it is simply to get a bearing. Make sure I'm heading north or heading east for example. Although these days that's about all I do with my SK7 as well. The sites I dive I know well enough that I simply need to know which way a given direction is and I can then take it from there.
I use a generic compass and it seems to be adequate. I used my Perdix in a foreign location and as (team leader) I had to locate and disable a mine, using the square search pattern. I was surprised how accurate it was without calibration. 5 minutes in each direction.

I'm with @JimBlay I've been using an analog compass for a long time. I do like the floating pointer on my Teric and have it displayed. If I didn't feel naked without my old compass, it would be all that I need. I really only need general direction most of the time

I know how to make the compass work (I think), so I don't need directions to push the bottom right button, etc.

This probably applies to other wrist mounted computers as well that just have a north mark for a compass.

I'm wondering how people actually use it functionally. I think it is mildly useful to set a "go back to shore heading" but it otherwise not very user friendly.

If I am at the surface and trying to determine the heading of the thing I'm navigating to, by the time I line up the compass, look up at the object, and reverify, the computer has switched back from giving a numerical heading to just a north arrow. I then have to start over.

If I know I have to swim at 40 degrees from my current position to reach my target, the same thing tends to happen. Actually last time I tried that, I could get the compass to read 10 degrees, I'd shift angle a little bit, then it would jump to 90 degrees. I'd move back the other way, and it would jump to 350 degrees, then switch back to the north arrow. Push some buttons and try again. After about 5 minutes I that, I gave up. I wasn't moving 90 degrees, I was moving slowly, I didn't have it tilted. I tried swimming a little bit away from where I was in case I was getting magnetic deviation from something. I had nothing else on my wrist that would cause deviation. It just wasn't working.

So how are people actually using the integrated compass? Is mine broken? Is there a way to set the duration of the heading that I haven't found?

My Teric has always been a little hinky. the compass will work fine for a while but after a few dives it got jumpy/inaccurate until re calibrated. It seems ridiculous to have to re-cal several times a day. At the end of last season I was doing a mid-water, low-viz swim to target (suspended helicopter) with no chance of external visual reference and the compass basically just locked up.

Last straw - I shipped it off to Dive-Tronix last week for a compass-repair and battery check. i won't be able to get into the water until mid to late June, but will try to update on the results.

On the how to use it front ... I always use the perimeter mode - The North reference is handy since I'm frequently in low-viz. I'll set the heading bug when I have a specific target/heading reference. I have filled in reference ticks on the bezel as alignment aids. White at 12 & 6 - Hi-viz Red (or Orange) at around 2 & 8. The 2/8 ticks give me references with my arms braced comfortably out front (Left-wrist mounting) - I can align the ticks one in front of the other with my left eye in direction of travel and keep the green bug aligned with the far (2) tick out bound or near (8) tick on the reciprocal course.

Honestly, I'd love to see Shearwater add alignment ticks on 90 degree intervals at a user-settable reference rotation.

My Teric has always been a little hinky. the compass will work fine for a while but after a few dives it got jumpy/inaccurate until re calibrated. It seems ridiculous to have to re-cal several times a day. At the end of last season I was doing a mid-water, low-viz swim to target (suspended helicopter) with no chance of external visual reference and the compass basically just locked up.

Last straw - I shipped it off to Dive-Tronix last week for a compass-repair and battery check. i won't be able to get into the water until mid to late June, but will try to update on the results.

When I first got my Teric both the battery and compass had the problems you describe. I'd have to constantly recalibrate the compass and then it would be out of whack a few dives later. After the service both compass and battery have been fine. I've not had to recalibrate the compass in a year.

When I first got my Teric both the battery and compass had the problems you describe. I'd have to constantly recalibrate the compass and then it would be out of whack a few dives later. After the service both compass and battery have been fine. I've not had to recalibrate the compass in a year.
So there is hope ... :yeahbaby:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom