How do you say goodbye to an awesome dive buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings fellow SB'ers. I have found myself in a position that is causing some anguish.
Over the past year I have had the opportunity to be involved in the life of a extraordinary individual and his family. From the start of his diving it was apparent that only fish were more comfortable in the water. In the last year I have been challenged to rise to new diving goals that I am certain I would have never seen with out his influence. I am excited for him as he is pursuing his dream, however I find myself wanting him to stay. But I understand that this path is his own and I want to see him and his family prosper. I will miss his sense of humor and "evil ingenious". Spending time in the water with you has been unbelievable, I can only hope that in the future we will meet again. Very soon! Till then, Matt you are a good friend! Though you are in sunny Florida cave diving like a mad man, do not forget your buddies back in Indiana.
Turn around is 1/3, you will always be welcome. Good luck, safe diving, take care of Chris and the kids. We will all miss you! Your dive buddy Cam and family!:mooner:

Matt who? Where in Florida is he now? He sounds like a cave diving buddy I need to meet!!

That's always a tough one. You're not closing a chapter, just turning a page.

Now you have a place to stay when you visit cave country! :)

I know how you feel. I had a guy move to town who started diving with me and we became close friends and dive buddies. He was a technical diving instructor, so we spent 2 years together, him taking me from recreational diver to full trimix. He gave to me so generously and changed my diving forever. He also turned out to be one of the highest quality people I've ever had the honer to know.

Then he moved away.

But we still stay in contact - in fact, I just got back from a week of diving with him in the St. Lawrence River. :D And he moved just an hour's drive from where my parents live (and an hour from some great diving), so I'm sure we'll be diving again together soon.

Life changes, and so do relationships, and that's ok...

Last edited:
Greetings fellow SB'ers. I have found myself in a position that is causing some anguish.
Over the past year I have had the opportunity to be involved in the life of a extraordinary individual and his family. From the start of his diving it was apparent that only fish were more comfortable in the water. In the last year I have been challenged to rise to new diving goals that I am certain I would have never seen with out his influence. I am excited for him as he is pursuing his dream, however I find myself wanting him to stay. But I understand that this path is his own and I want to see him and his family prosper. I will miss his sense of humor and "evil ingenious". Spending time in the water with you has been unbelievable, I can only hope that in the future we will meet again. Very soon! Till then, Matt you are a good friend! Though you are in sunny Florida cave diving like a mad man, do not forget your buddies back in Indiana.
Turn around is 1/3, you will always be welcome. Good luck, safe diving, take care of Chris and the kids. We will all miss you! Your dive buddy Cam and family!:mooner:

First, while reading this it brought a tear to my eye. I can really feel you are going to miss this guy. I'm sure the loss is not one sided.

Second, looks like a good reason to vacation in Florida! :D

All I can say is that Florida sure is nice in the winter compared to Indiana.

I have 2 words "Road Trip"

Jim breslin

Greetings all and thanks for the advice / kind words. We shared our last dive for a while with Matt yesterday. It was a Deep dive specialty class and it was great because he loves to dive deep. Thus it was fitting and training went very well. While I have been reflecting about the past I have come to realize there exists a bond amongst real dive buddies that is like brothers, no amount of mileage can diminish it nor can it pass away. Our lives carry the finger prints of the moments and things we have shared together. Like steel sharpens steel we evolve as divers, friends, brothers! As some have shared it is just a reason to go south, I told my wife last night we will be spring breaking in Gainsville. A.K.A. CAVE COUNTRY! I hope she understands. So friends here on the board thanks again for your words, they mean more than you know!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Cam the Embasordor to scuba, as we like to call him. I only wish I knew the words to explain how grateful I am to have had the honor and privalige of diving with you and Mark. As Randy said we are only turning a page in our lives. The diver, or person rather, I am today is only because of the two most extraordinary dive buddies and friends pushing me to push perfection. Who could of dreamt that the day I woundered up to Mark's door soliciting my desire as a diver I would of aquired two of the greatest friends in my short 26 years of life. Between the two of you, my beautiful wife and two wonderful children I have become one of the richest men on earth. I can only hope that one day I can repay the favor. We have had so many great nights camping out at Gilboa and watching George St-Pierre kick ass. I hope to continue those great nights in the future whether it be at Gilboa or Cave County. I have lived my entire life going from one hobby to the next never being able to settle with any one of them. I have discovered my mistress in the form of scuba and I am blessed to have had shared it with you two. Ok, enough the soft mushy BS, my ingenious evil mind has begun plotting my plan to get your two asses down here in Florida.
As for my place of residence, I will be staying with my father in Orlando until I can find a suitable house for the wife and children and place of employment in the Gainsville/Lake City area. So if anyone needs a second rate cave buddy feel free to give me a call at 260 687 9637 cause I will be board out of my mind.

Keep it real Indiana and I will see you all again shortly.

Peace, love and diving, is there anything else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom