How do you know if you have air pockets in your mouth after dental work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been reading past posts on this topic. I have a temporary filling in and my dentist said I may need to have the tooth extracted if the filling doesn't work. He doesn't want to do a root canal because I have some bone loss around the tooth and he thinks it may be a waste of $ and I might lose the tooth anyway.

so I've read that you shouldn't go diving with temporary stuff in, which I'm not, but after the filling is in, how would I know if there is an air pocket?

When you dive, it will hurt like hell.
:rofl3: I was hoping to avoid that. :wink:

Seriously, air pockets in dental work are extremely rare.
That's good to know. Thanks.

I don't get how you have a filling without first having a root canal... but you could always avoid the filling problem by having the tooth extracted.

Ken

You get a filling when you have decay. You don't always need a root canal. I really don't even know what their purpose is since I've never had one.

As Walter has stated, air in fillings is rare. However, you should talk to your dentist about this. Mine was well aware of the problem with air in fillings and reassured me it will not be a problem.

fairybasslet,

You are quite correct that it typically a filling when a decay has been removed. If too much of the tooth has decayed but there is still enough that a dentist doesn't need to totally remove it they will do a root canal. A root canal is removing the nerves from the tooth. If the wall of the tooth is too thin, hot and cold foods can cause pain in the tooth. This is not just sensitivity but real pain. In these cases a root canal is performed.

My dentist does not like to remove a tooth completely. So when I had a cavity he tried to save it. When it hurt he did a root canal. So I still have all my teeth but one of them has a huge filling and no nerves.

fairybasslet,

You are quite correct you typically get a filling when a decay has been removed. If too much of the tooth has decayed but there is still enough that a dentist doesn't need to totally remove it they will do a root canal. A root canal is removing the nerves from the tooth. If the wall of the tooth is too thin, hot and cold foods can cause pain in the tooth. This is not just sensitivity but real pain. In these cases a root canal is performed.

My dentist does not like to remove a tooth completely. So when I had a cavity he tried to save it. When it hurt he did a root canal. So I still have all my teeth but one of them has a huge filling and no nerves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom