How do you know if you are ready for strong current diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi! I have been a long time lurker of ScubaBoard – I read a lot but don’t really contribute much :p I have a “lucky” problem here – my husband is currently negotiating a new job out in Asia. We have a 99.9% chance of permanently relocating to either Hong Kong or Singapore (currently living in New York, but we are not Americans though!). Once he has signed on the new job, he will need to take a 3 month mandatory paid leave. We are planning to use this time to pack up and move to Asia plus do some wicked traveling. The time frame of the diving trip is most likely going to be late April or early May 2011 for 2-3 weeks and we don’t really have a budget (we are willing to spend money when necessary to reach a certain location and we def want hot water and A/C all the way, but Four Seasons type accommodations not a pre-requisite). I have a bucket-list of to-dive locations and we hope to do one of the following in no special order (the more remote the location, the better, since hubby usually needs to stay in touch for work on holidays, it’s a rare break for us to travel to someplace with no cell reception):

1) Fiji
2) French Polynesia / Tuamotus
3) PNG
4) Raja Ampat
5) Wakatobi
6) Komodo
7) Palau/Yap
8) Australia Barrier Reefs
9) Thailand Similan

My hubby and I dove Grand Cayman, Belize, Philippines Bohol, Sipadan and Lembeh in the past. We had approx 60 lifetime dives before under moderate conditions. So we are not newbies who cannot control our buoyancy, yet we have never really encountered mask-ripping current before. Hubby is into photography (Lembeh was great!) We are in our early 30s, in good health conditions.

This trip will be departing from HK, since that’s where I will get free babysitting from the grandparents (I have a toddler son). I am ruling out Similans (tail end of the season – we can always do it another time from HK) and Oz (winter there right?). French Polynesia is too difficult to get to from HK (and expensive!) so it’s out of the picture. There is a weekly direct flight from HK to Nadi and Port Moresby. There is a direct flight from HK-Guam to connect to Palau (layover slightly annoying, but doable though) or we go via Manila or Taipei. HK-Bali or HK-Jakarta is a piece of cake. I’ve heard all of the remaining locations have strong current condition – so question for you guys – how do you know you are ready to take the plunge and do some ripping current diving? I love diving, but I also don’t want to risk my life to do something I am physically not ready for. My hubby’s heart is set on Raja Ampat (ever since he has heard about it from an Indo friend) – is diving in Raja Ampat “relatively easier” than other locations (excluding Similan) on my list? I personally want to try either an extended Palau trip or a Lembeh / Raja Ampat combo. We have never done a liveaboard either – so dunno how we would feel about it. What would you recommend for us? Thanks!

Hi, I'd say the best way to become familiar with diving in current is to take it gradually - if you talk about this with the dive operators you're with, they should help.

For instance, I started with drift dives, and the guide would tell me techniques and things to be aware of (watch the fish, they can help you understand the current, also looking up at the surface for clues, keeping low to the bottom, or behind coral for shelter, etc...(you probably already know this stuff!)), then I did faster drift dives, then dives where a negative entry was best, and you build up experience really... Make sure you get good dive briefings, and a refresher of safety procedures in case you get seperated from the dive group is good for confidence.

Sounds like you guys will have an excellent time with your travels! Have fun..

At least six areas on your wish list can develop ripping currents. The operative word here is "can." That doesn't mean you have to dive in them (usually). A good dive guide will know a dive site and scout the currents before your dive. Very often you'll dive only the lee (protected) side of an island or reef. Often you'll zig-zag up the wall of a sea mount or island until the dive guide finds opposing current, which can come from either side, then you'll about-face and go the other way. Occasionally you'll have to fight a small section of current until you "squirt" through to the calmer water.

Your dive guide is your friend in all of this, as Boar Horza said. They know that nothing can make a group of divers turn surly (and consequently affect their tip) like leading them on a current dive for no good reason. The "rare" exception is when you go on a "speed dive" ... you jump in and ride the current for fun. Taking a camera is usually not a smart plan, unless you want to just record the ride. We've done dives like this where some of the divers were very green. Maybe they didn't do it "in style" (nor do we), but they come out the other end with big round eyes, a smile, and a good story. You'll do fine.

Okay let's start with your shortlist :
1- Fiji. very nice, no ripping currents except in Taveuni, but places like Vatu I Ra and Bligh waters north of Viti levu are really worth seeing the fantasy of colorful soft corals clouded with billions of anthias fish. Excellent for wide angle photo, Taveuni's Great white wall is a must do but the current can pick up there.
2- FP. out of your list.. oh OK.
3-4-5 never dived, can't say. Wakatobi's supposed to be easier but still very expensive.
6- Haaa.... if there was a place where current was invented, it was probably in Komodo. But fear not, when I dived Komodo, I was with my big bulky Subal housing and two strobes, I asked the dive guides for mild current dives and they handled it. If you like current, it's your playground but if you say you don't like it there are many places in Komodo where you can dive current free. Just ask. Clearly one of the best dive areas worldwide. Highly recommended.
7-8 haven't dived.
9- tail season you say.

Summary : April/may is probably the BEST season to do a liveaboard around Komodo area. I don't want to force you guys, but once again ther are lots of nice spots with mild current in Komodo, the guides will tell you if for instance on that specific dive, it would be better not to bring your camera.
You can't go wrong either with Fiji, lovely place, most charming people on earth. Northern Fiji is better : try Bligh waters from Wananavu resort or Namena island if you have the dollars (probably the best dives in Fiji) and extend on Taveuni.

Personally I'd love to go to PNG, Kavieng area/Lissenung sounds great. It would be #1 on my list.
IMHO I think the diving in Raja Ampat is much too expensive, hence I'll skip it until it comes down to less ridiculous prices.

The current-related comments of Bora Horza and Highdesert are spot-on. I haven't been to Palau, but know from comments here and from a good friend's personal experience that Palau has ripping current in some places, where you hang onto a reef hook and basically look like an unfurled flag.

In some of the more remote locations (such as Lissenung Island, PNG, that Luko mentioned, which sure meets your desire for a place with limited cell phone coverage and does not have current issues in most dive spots), a/c and hot water are not on the menu, though I found the accommodations there to be more than adequate. The best "plan" is to research locations and facilities on this board and elsewhere.

I've done a couple of liveboards, and not had a bad time. The joy of liveaboard diving is the high number of dives, and the downsides (to me) are somewhat cramped quarters, a possibly-rocking boat and, in unfortunate circumstances, the presence of some ******* from whom you cannot escape!! There's really no way to know with certainty whether you'll like the liveaboard until you do it.

I dove with a delightful group of Hong Kong Chinese last summer; that group travels a LOT for diving. If you do move to HK and would like a name, send a PM.

Thanks for all of your comments. I agree speaking to the DMs/Dive Op is probably an essential thing to do. My fear is that when you travel to such “exotic” dive locations, most of the other fellow divers on the boat most likely are far more experienced, hence DMs are pressured to go to more advanced sites and won’t be able to accommodate us (even though they empathize). Rationally I think Palau is out of the question for this trip (I am pretty sure every diver on the boat would want to do Blue Corner or equivalent sites as many times as possible!). Lembeh/RA might be a good combo since we can get wet for a couple of days in Lembeh first in pretty easy conditions (get used to the gears again and work out all the weight kinks – somehow I always need diff weight amount on every trip) before heading out to RA. Hopefully after a couple of days in Lembeh we’ll gain extra confidence and be able to handle RA diving better. Lissenung sounds very intriguing, but I am not so sure if my hubby would buy into the idea of no hot water and no A/C (he wants his creature comforts – he was not a happy camper when I chose to stay in a place with no hot water in Philippines last time).

Luko – I agree Wakatobi/RA is expensive (relative to other places in Asia), but my husband is the wuss here. He gets mad if there is no A/C and hot water. As you can see I am the cheapskate in our relationship!

I guess Palau will need to be a trip in the future. Fiji sounds doable and fun (but I thought the Bligh Water is like a washing machine too, divers get lost in open ocean?)

Out of sheer curiosity - Can someone chime in on how is Cozumel current condition different from places like Wakatobi / Komodo / RA? Seems like a lot of newbies from the US go to Cozumel, yet I don’t really hear anyone on forums discouraging newbies going to Cozumel (ca. Is Coz diving easier in some sense? No up/down current in Coz (but has that in Wakatobi / Komodo / RA)? I’ve snorkeled in Coz once so I remember the drift current. Isn’t that potentially dangerous (if newbie cannot follow group and get swept out to open sea)?

I know I sound a bit paranoid – but I always work on the principle of better be safe than sorry…

All of these places you're refencing can all experience varied current conditions. You mention a lot of newer US divers going to Cozumel, and doing fine. We did our first post-OW dives in Coz and had a ball. Some of those were drift dives. On the other hand, if you dive Cozumel north of town, you can jump in for a thrill ride at some times.

Same thinkg for Wakatobi, RA, and Komodo. Wakatobi currents tend to run along the walls, not so much up or down. RA and Komodo, with their hundreds of little islands and sea mounts, can generate more up/down current. You can have dives from dead calm to some stiff current ... in the case of Komodo some "speed dive" current ... but you're just not going to be jumping into the washing machine for giggles. We had two single ladies on the boat in about the 30-dive range doing the Cauldron (or Shotgun, your choice of name) in Komodo in October. You get squirted between two islands and come shooting out the other side. Both of them did fine, and enjoyed it.

You're expressing in some pretty rational terms that you have concerns, and being concerned is a good thing. But you also sound like your head is screwed on straight, and you'll handle the conditions well. Honestly, I think you might be over-thinking the issue a little bit beyond a reasonable level of concern. Don't let it ruin your trip! :wink:

Hi Sharka! First, Congratulation for your hubby's new job! I can't answer whether or not you are ready for the ripping current though... Trust your own judgement, looking at the water, looking at your physical condition at that time, how you are feeling.
You can built your confidence by experiences and training. Try some easy drift dives, for example in Bunaken, or some part of Nusa Penida/Lembongan (Bali). Remember to have good dive-guide (with good briefing), good captain, and bring your own safety sausage/SMB. If needed, in a furious current you might want a reef hook, but remember that a reef hook can also be a very dangerous tool if you don't know how to use it properly and that you may also damage the corals..
Last but not least, make sure you're on your best fitness. Do strength and cardio training. You want to sip air like wine, not gulping it like beer in the drift! :wink: Remember, current can occur anywhere.

Enjoy the ocean ride! :D

Don't count out Palau. Palau is my favorite place in the world that I have been to. Besides the amazing diving, Palau has great kayaking, great beer and great restaurants. I dove Palau when I was a brand new diver (14 dives) and never felt overwelmed. I did not have stellar boyancy control at the time either. I live on Guam and I know a lot of newbie divers who go to Palau and love it and never mention anything about being scared. Like it's been said already, stay near the Divemaster, listen to the dive briefings and you will be fine, better than fine. Blue Corner is such an amazing dive site and one of the reasons it is so amazing is because of the current, (though it is still good with none). In April you may even catch the tail end of the Gray Reef Shark mating season where you can see 20 or so gray reef sharks in front of you while you hover over the reef suspended from a reef hook. If you have never done current dive, I think Palau is the best place to start.

I would suggest checking out Pelilieu divers Welcome / Dolphin Bay Resort & Peleliu Divers in Palau on Pelileu island (BTW I have no affiliation) . Here you are closest to the best dive sites and can dive with a small group. It's a lazy little island with lots of war history and far enough away from Koror to feel remote. You still get all the creature comforts in their nice little cabins as well. This is where my girlfriend and I stayed, both inexperienced divers at the time, and we felt well looked after. Talking to the DM's in Palau, I get the hint they have a LOT of experience looking after the inexperienced. Then you can go to one of the many excellent dive outfits in Koror and do some kayak tours and snorkel Jelly fish lake.

I will also suggest to challenge yourself little. This is how you gain experience and ability as a diver. If the current dives sound a little intimidating, then do a current dive. Many of the best dive sites at the locations on your list are ranked the best because of the fish action generated by the current.

You can also look at the moon phases to plan your trip. If you want less current, avoid diving on days near the full moon and the new moon.

From your list, the only other place I have dove is Komodo.
I would suggest Palau before Komodo, but Komodo eventually, because Komodo is incredible.

I second that about Palau. Besides, the liveaboards tend to have standardized itineraries. On the Aggressor (unless it's a full boat charter, I assume), no matter if everyone else wants to do Blue Corner everyday, you'll still probably only do it twice during the trip (once as a drift from Blue Holes), and other liveaboards will likely be the same. There are other excellent sites besides Blue Corner that they won't want you to miss, and many of them can have very slow currents.

Most of Wakatobi's currents were mild when I was there, with the strongest current I experienced being on the house reef. Except for one dive, I only shot 105mm macro (though I did have some help from the DMs when the current made macro shooting a bit difficult). It's a very nice resort and won't disappoint you.

The scariest current I've experienced was in Cozumel, a down current at 85 feet that was too strong to kick against, the kind where the bubbles go down instead of up or even sideways. My buddy, who had about 50 dives under her belt at the time, was so freaked out that she cried back on the boat and sat out the next dive. The rest of us were shaken but elated with adrenalin, high-fiving each other that we survived the ordeal. Cozumel is no place for a newbie, yet many divers make a beeline there right after getting certified and most of them somehow survive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom