How do you know if they’re competent instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Scuba Client, you started this thread in New Divers. In what respect is cave diving relevant for New Divers?

Just wondering.

Sorry, what does your post have to do with competent instructors?
Well, Jesus is a fairly common first name in MX, and there's a lot of cave diving going on in MX, so...

@Scuba Client, you started this thread in New Divers. In what respect is cave diving relevant for New Divers?

Just wondering.
The moderator changed it. But my detractors (there are many) think otherwise.

I learn from the best I learn from the worst.

The first thing I establish with students is trust; and you achieve trust by being honest and straight forward. A potential student may ask: which Agency should I choose? The Solution Is Simple Safe Effective: who taught you to drive, and are you critical of other car drivers? PADI is the most popular for various reasons but that reason may not become a precedent until you are employed as a Divemaster/Instructor. Your Instructor must have intuition; therefore, questions need to be raised. Equipment selection should be universal when training novice divers. Morale must be high, and no question should go unanswered. Through technique and experience, confidence is won. Never train with the same Instructor twice.

The first thing I establish with students is trust; and you achieve trust by being honest and straight forward. .
I prefer to have Jesus leading the cave dive than Judas.
It does not seem as if you have been "honest and straight forward" in your first, very short, post starting this thread. That contradicts what you are espousing here as the basis for people to trust a person.
[Mod EDIT]

A potential student may ask: which Agency should I choose? The Solution Is Simple Safe Effective: who taught you to drive, and are you critical of other car drivers?
What does this have to do with anything?

Your Instructor must have intuition; therefore, questions need to be raised.
What? Asking questions makes sense. That being related to your instructor having intuition does not.

So your posts here seem mostly noise to me.

The first thing I establish with students is trust; and you achieve trust by being honest and straight forward. ... Through technique and experience, confidence is won. Never train with the same Instructor twice.

And so, once you have worked hard to gain the student's confidence through technique and experience, you will never see the student again, assuming the student who trusted you follows your advice and never takes a class from you again. I think almost any reader would see the self contradiction in this one paragraph, but it leads us to the main self contradiction--the author himself.

When Scuba Client first appeared on the scene, I took his posts seriously and tried to respond seriously. He was first talking about technical diving issues, trying to come across as an expert. Unfortunately, though, his replies indicated a lack of understanding about some of the most basic of technical diving issues. Similar experiences followed. "I'm a real expert, and here is a statement that real experts will see is nonsense."

The staff obviously thought something was amiss, which is likely why he was banned. Except,as statements from staff in this thread indicate, his baffling posts were not violations of the ToS. There were times he (???) even appeared to be trying to be helpful. At other times, his comments, like the first one in this thread, were simply baffling.

Which brings us to the primary contradiction. The first sentence in this quote says "The first thing I establish with students is trust; and you achieve trust by being honest and straight forward." Well, he (???) has been anything but honest and straightforward on ScubaBoard, which is why so many people are baffled by his posts. I suggest ignoring until such a time that "honest and straightforward" comes to the fore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom