How do i make a watertight rotary switch that goes in a 6" PVC tube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to make a scooter out of a 12v trolling motor. dc to dc step down converter and green works 60v lawn mower battery. The trolling motor has a switch module that has 5 speeds forward and 2 that are reverse. The speeds are activated by a rotary dial.

I would like to put the housing inside the round 6" pvc pipe but I cannot figure out how I can seal it from water getting in, especially since the pipe is convex. Ideally I would want to have the switch outside the pipe and have it on some sort of handle so I could use it like a motorcycle throttle. But doing that I would need to get about 5 wires outside the housing and waterproof the switch somehow. Any ideas how to make this happen?

IMG_1761.JPG
IMG_1762.JPG
IMG_1764.JPG
IMG_1790.JPG

Reactions: OTF
Neat project. Hope the shaft seal on the trolling motor can handle the pressure. But I bet it'll do okay except on very deep dives.

For the switch - a shaft seal with a small o-ring. Lots of resources online and in textbooks on how to design that.

A magentic switch of some sort is also an option but maybe not ideal for a scooter.

Do you have machining capability? Mill or lathe? If so the o-ring thing will be easy.

I am not sure if it will hold up at depth either but it’s a fun project for me to tinker with! I dont have access to milling equipment. I thought the shaft would not work because it has a flat portion especially when butted up against the inside of a pipe. Any kind of premade rotator switches?

I guees you should try to install that switch inside the DPV and link it to an external SS shaft that transvers the hull with o-rings. Just like the actuators of the Ikelite UW camera Housings. The SS actuator should have at least 2 o-rings to seal the exterior.

Some of the RC submarine websites offer premade shaft seal parts

Much easier to just replace that switch with some relays, and drive those relays via some hall effect switches, and use an EXTERNAL ring that has a magnet in to trigger those sensors!

do you by chance have any photos of what the hall effect switches look like and an external ring and where to get them?

Thanks

Much easier to just replace that switch with some relays, and drive those relays via some hall effect switches, and use an EXTERNAL ring that has a magnet in to trigger those sensors!

In fact you should be refering to Reed Switches.
Switches | Magnetic, Reed Switches | DigiKey

Magnets do corrode, so the magnets that should be used must be enclosed to avoid corrosion.

I'm not saying not to do it, but be careful about trusting reed switches on a DPV. They can stick or be unreliable sometimes. You wouldn't want the scooter to stick on full speed ahead unintentionally.

If you really want to play around with oring seals it may make sense to brush up a bit by looking at the contents of the Parker Hannifin Handbook. Way too much detail, but they do provide some good info on both static and dynamic oring sealing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom