How do I become an commercial diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Radu

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heloo. I was diver in the army for 3 years. I quit the army and I want to become a comercial diver, to earn my living from it. I am from Romania, living in Ciprus for the moment. Can someone tell me in witch country should I go to make the courses, witch courses should I make, witch ones will be in my advantage to get a job, and air suply from the surface or not, how is better?

I only know what I know as it relates to the USA. In the USA there are about 10 schools teaching Commercial Diving. Each school is pumping out 20+ students per month all looking for a job, that at it's peak level only supports about 2000 jobs.

Things are finally starting to pick up again. After the oil spill it seemed as if things came to a dead stop. I have friends that spent 2 years trying to get employed. If I were you, and you were in the USA, I'd try to talk you out of it, but if your heart is set on it, I'd say go to the cheapest school you can find. That happens to be the community college in Lousianna. You can get a diving cert for less than 5k instead of 30k.

In Romania, I really wouldn't know what to advise. But I wish you luck. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, you are either poor, unemployed, dead, or all of the above.

Heloo. I was diver in the army for 3 years. I quit the army and I want to become a comercial diver, to earn my living from it. I am from Romania, living in Ciprus for the moment. Can someone tell me in witch country should I go to make the courses, witch courses should I make, witch ones will be in my advantage to get a job, and air suply from the surface or not, how is better?

Learning to spell it correctly will probably take you a lot further in your endeavors.

This link is in your geographical area. Perhaps start with them? http://cyprus.dive-international.net/centreinfo.php?cid=31&pid=2

You will likely earn more and have a potentially more rewarding career if you join a police force and undertake Public Safety/Recovery diver training. Your experience in the army (almost regardless of your MOS) should help your application as a cop.

Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom