How do Dive Centers Work in Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeterB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
OK, I'm a little confused. Walked around Patong and there are many "dive centers" varying from little more than a tour booking center with fins on the wall to what I'd consider a DC with experienced staff, the ability to fill tanks, etc.

It seems like many of the DC's are selling seats on possibly the same boats. Is the DM going to be from the shop you visit or do they just sell seats for commission?

I asked earlier about DC's knowledgeable about DIR rigs. Maybe I'd be better to just ask if anyone knows of any DC 's (either Patong or anywhere on the island if they'll include a Patong pick up in the cost of a day trip) that have some DM's with decent experience. When I trained at DC Manly in Sydney my instructor had about 7,000 logged dives, taught technical diving and was experienced in cave diving. He was also an ex-S&R diver and I learnt a bunch more being around him than some of the newer DM's. Any such DM's in Phuket? Any advice much appreciated!

Last edited:
It seems like many of the DC's are selling seats on possibly the same boats.
Yes, the boats are going to certain divesites, so a DC can simply book a plce for you on that boat. That gives the diver maximum flexibility to choose his destination with a DC, since they have different options to choose from.
Is the DM going to be from the shop you visit or do they just sell seats for commission?
Depends. We like to send our guides along, I know some others who do the same and others who don't.

Your other question: see my answer in that thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom