How deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoredivr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This is an interesting app that shows how deep different species go in the oceans, including divers and submersibles. Just keep scrolling down to see depth and species.

Neal.fun

Nice.
Technical comment: it is not the great pressure that is the nasty issue for life at depth...it is the food sources.
I met Don Walsh a few years ago. Humble, quiet, cool guy. He turns 89 this year, and is still smiling and asking good questions.

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Thanks.
Really informative and scrolling down make you aware of the scale of the depth

That scale is simply amazing.I get the bends just watching it.
The impressive part is the depths that air breathing animals reach. We attended a lecture about Antarctic animals recently and the lecturer pointed out that the reason they go so deep is to find food.

They also indicated that these depth "records" will be broken as we obtain more complete research data. Currently the amount of data is limited. An example is it is now known that Orca's can dive below 1087 meters as opposed to the 104 meters indicated.

Well, albeit impressive, I do not think that the scuba diving record by Ahmed Gabr should be compared with the other animals. Better to show the current freediving, self-propelled records:
- Alessia Zecchini at 113 m: - Alexey Molchanov at 130m:

I recommend this book by James Nestor. It gives you an interesting perspective on different depth zones, and is a compelling read.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E78ICX8/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom