How common is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
in technical diving training?

I never remember my instructor kneeling on the bottom during our drills. I recall mask removal drills in certain classes. I do not recall those specific tank removal skills other than leaving our O2 and travel mix at designated locations.

Different affiliations and instructors may do things differently. In one exercise, I had my stages clipped onto a guideline together with my instructor’s stages. I then had a blindfold placed over my mask and had to go along the guideline, identify my stages by touch, and clip them back on in the correct order without losing hold of the guideline. There were other exercises for buoyancy control whilst taking on or handing off stages, as well as exercises with mask off.

well the instructor sucks, so of course the "skills" are ridiculous.

Leaving deco bottles in the sand is silly. And doing buoyancy related skills 2ft off the bottom is easy breezy anyway so not sure what the point of this is

I recently came across a TecRec/DSAT/PADI workbook for tech diving. In almost all pictures, instructor and students were kneeling on the bottom. This included kneeling during the demonstration of a gas switch. I guess I dont need to comment on how absurd that is if you cant hold a stop while trying to switch to O2 lets say ...

I recently came across a TecRec/DSAT/PADI workbook for tech diving. In almost all pictures, instructor and students were kneeling on the bottom. This included kneeling during the demonstration of a gas switch. I guess I dont need to comment on how absurd that is if you cant hold a stop while trying to switch to O2 lets say ...
Those photo's have been mentioned soooo many times and they're being changed. But this movie isn't a PADI course. It's TDI Extended Range.

I read the comments below and it seems that the instructor is very experienced with thousands of decompression dives.

TDI Extended range.

Some of the required skills you will have to demonstrate include:

"Demonstrate competence managing 2 stage cylinders, either 2 deco gas or 1 deco and extra bottom gas, including drop and recovery while maintaining position in the water column"

With mask off is probably the instructors personal thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom