How common is solo RB diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fiona Sharp’s death in Bonaire yesterday makes me ask just how common is solo RB diving.

I wouldn’t think it would be any less common than solo OC diving. With all the checklists and the need to build experience on a unit, I would think those are exactly the kind of people who would dive solo.

no way to know

"same ocean" diving is incredibly common already and I would guess more prevalent among divers actually configured to have a completely independent system along. So OC SM divers and most CCR divers. Plus anyone with a pony bottle.

I do it for training with a BOV plumbed into my off-board Ali80, max depth no more than 37M with no deco.

My mindset (OC diver), and the others I have experienced who are on RB units, is that every dive is a solo dive.... I may be there for someone else, but I do not expect anyone to be there for me......

YMMV

Probably 25% of my CCR dives are solo. I try to stay above 200' and <30 minutes deco.

Back
Top Bottom