How Bright ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Obviously this topic isn't gonna have any straight answer - so any input is appreciated. If you would educated me more or tell me what you used and what you use it for so I can draw my own conclusion. Please do be specific.

The purprose of this light will be use for spear fishing to see fish hiding under/inside dark structures or ledges during daytime hours.

This will be my frist light purchase so IMHO - the general consensus would be "buy the brightest light you can afford." Targeted buget is $100 or less. However if there is a super bright and extra tiny and very long lasting light. I will galdly spend $500 or more if needed.

My uneducated choice is go to with LED w/ rechargeable batteries.

Order of importance is:
(1) Brightness (absoutely must be bright enough to get the intended job done)
(2) Size (smaller the better)
(3) Battery Type/Life (recharaeable would be nice)
(4) Cost (I will take anything into cosideration)
(5) Hands free illumination when needed (like UK Q40 - mask strap or OMS Headlamp - head/hand strap)

The biggest question is: How to determine brightness level of each brand/model accordingly.

lumens?? watts?? bulb type??? (HID or Xenon or LED or Regular) number of bulbs?

If you are using it to look under ledges during the daytime, then the most important thing is the brightness of the central spot. For a given wattage light, a tighter beam will have a brighter spot.

My suggestion is to simply go to a dive shop and try out a bunch in the shop, seeing how bright the spot is in a well lit shop. Preferably on a sunny day. The beam and brightness of the Ikelite PCM series is pretty much the same as the PCa.

The Q40 halogen is a pretty popular light and you should be able to find it in most dive shops (or even better, bum one from a buddy) to use as a comparison when looking at the LED lights. LED lights tend to not have as tight of a central beam, so are at a bit of a disadvantage when working against bright sunlight.

Two datapoints I can offer ---- for looking under ledges in clear tropical water, I find the UK Q40 halogen not quite bright enough, but the Ikelite PCa halogen does a pretty good job.

(1) HID are brightest but also most fragile and $$$, followed by LEDs and Xenon bulbs
(2) Size relates to output, brighter lights tend to be bigger bc they need more power. Also important is the type of bulb, LEDs need less battery than a HID light, so they will be smaller.
(3) Almost any light can use rechargeable batts, just wether or not they are LiIon or AA, LEDs have longest burn time on average with HIDs having least.
(4) Varies on 1-3
(5) This is more limiting than you might think, you either need a canister light or a light that can accept a goodman handle OR you need a bitty light like the ones you listed. I tend to avoid headlamps, nothing good comes from diving with those in my opinion.

Looks like it it is time to pony up $500 for a "real" underwater spot light.

I kinda figure a Q40 ($40) or OMS HL ($67) wasn't gonna cut it. Probably just isn't gonna be bright enough or focus enough beam for the task.

The Ikelite PCa halogen you suggested is reasonable priced ($40). Are you sure that gonna get the job done? Please elaborate "pretty good job."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom