How bad was this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OnTheMark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, just completed first boat dive. My dive buddy backed out at last minute so I was solo. I did an instabuddy on the way to the boat. When we were on the boat, a guy asked if he could tag along with us since his wife was snorkeling, so there was actually 3 of us.

On boat, they did roll call and my name was not on the roll (probably due to rebooking with my buddy cancelling). They asked if they missed anyone and I told them I was missed and they appeared to add me to the list.

The first dive was great. The sea was pretty choppy and as we were going to second spot, I got sick (overboard fortunately). I told my 2 new instabuddies to go without me and I would sit out. After puking, I actually started feeling better. Everyone had already gone in so I asked the DM if I could go in solo if I stayed near the boat. He said sure. We had a designated time to be back and I was back onboard early. We then had an emergency and they had to go pick up 4 divers (still not sure what the issue was). So, they signal for everyone to get in boat. Before moving, they do a roll call and miss me again. I told them again. We move, pick up the 4 distressed divers and they do another roll call. Again, they missed me.

So, basically, I was solo diving and had I not been on the boat I could have been a stranded diver; visions of the movie "Open Water" danced through my head. I was diving with Lost Reef Adventures in Key West. The lady who did the roll call the last 2 times was new. But, I am wondering if this was a training issue or something.

But, I am a new diver. I may be over reacting. Since this was my first boat dive, was this a big deal? Does this happen a lot? Or, was this atypical? I am thinking about calling the shop and talking to the owner but, again, this was a new lady. I don't want her to get in trouble but yet this could have been very, very bad. What is your advice from a seasoned diver? Would you take to the shop owner?

Yes, missing someone on a roll call is a big thing. Once might be a mistake. After the first miss, I would have had a serious discussion on that issue with the Captain and head instructor/DM. Depending on their reaction and actions, I might also have the same discussion with the owner/manager. When by myself on a dive boat, I also try to find one other responsible acting buddy pair (other than my instabuddy) to make sure I am present during the roll call. Of course, it is not a guarantee, but it is less likely three people will screw up at the same time. After the dives, first beer would be on me.

This is a very, very big deal. this is not a training issue. This demonstrates an almost unbelievable disregard for diver safety. Missing someone is bad, doing it more than once on the same trip after being notified of the error is crazy.

I am glad you identified the operator. I would also call them up now, ask to speak to the owner/manager and make sure s/he understands that this operation has been identified on a public forum. If they give you the least amount of pushback, I would also call the Coast Guard and see if there is anyone who will be willing to accept a complaint.

It is a huge issue in my opinion.

A friend of mine disappeared at Catalina Island in a similar situation. She was on the crew list, not the passenger list. After the first dive, her name was not called and the boat went to a second site before someone finally noticed she was missing. They never did find her.
Laurel Silver-Valker’s Sons Sue: Undercurrent 04/2017

Yes, missing a diver on a roll call 3 times is a big deal. The owner needs to know what is going on when he is not on the boat.

Also, as a new diver on your first boat dive, it may not have been the best idea to dive solo.

Also, as a new diver on your first boat dive, it may not have been the best idea to dive solo.

Yes, I concede this point. Of course, we flew down just for this and I really hated to actually miss one of the dives that I went threw so much trouble to setup. But, apparently risking my life given what happened, it probably was not worth it. After the dive, I did go buy a safety sausage that I will now always travel with.

Yes, I concede this point. Of course, we flew down just for this and I really hated to actually miss one of the dives that I went threw so much trouble to setup. But, apparently risking my life given what happened, it probably was not worth it. After the dive, I did go buy a safety sausage that I will now always travel with.

It’s a tough position to be in...traveling for dive(s) and then having something come up to ruin it. Especially when you’re brand new and chomping at the bit to get in the water. Due to the time and money invested...It’s easy to put yourself in a situation where things can go badly because you’re more focused on money than your health.

I got sick last year and scrubbed two days of diving. I was in a similar boat...I drove four hours, paid for a hotel room for two nights, and paid for two days of diving. I decided that being sick and miserable in a hotel room 10’ from a bathroom was a better place to be than sick and miserable on a dive boat two hours off the coast of NC.

Having to cancel dive(s)....It’s going to happen to you sooner or later. Pretty much every seasoned diver that I’ve buddied up with so far has one or more stories of having to cancel dives because they or a buddy got sick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom