How are your laptops weathering checked luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kixy1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last time we put a laptop in our checked luggage it didn't make it... No great surprise if you've seen how they throw around luggage. Yes, it was in a padded case in hard-sided luggage. I'm not sure what else to do. How are you all packing your laptops and Kindles for the journey?

Last time we put a laptop in our checked luggage it didn't make it... No great surprise if you've seen how they throw around luggage. Yes, it was in a padded case in hard-sided luggage. I'm not sure what else to do. How are you all packing your laptops and Kindles for the journey?

We always carry-on laptops, iPads, phones, etc. Is there a reason why you’re not carrying it on?

The new TSA regulations don't allow any electronics larger than a regular sized cell phone on the plane with you when traveling internationally. Some nations haven't yet implemented, but I read that Mexico started this month. That means you can't take them in carry-on either way :(

The new TSA regulations don't allow any electronics larger than a regular sized cell phone on the plane with you when traveling internationally. Some nations haven't yet implemented, but I read that Mexico started this month. That means you can't take them in carry-on either way :(

Sorry this is news to me. I have not heard of this new regulation. Can you direct me to a source? I am flying to Coz next month...

The only recent news I found only involved added security checks on laptops bigger than a phone, not an outright ban of laptops in carry on luggage: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn...nic-device-check-mexico-us-flights/index.html

I just checked TSA and it looks like they lifted the ban! Happy dance! I got caught in the Middle East in May unaware, and it was SUCH a hassle to check my laptop and Kindle at the gate and then retrieve when we landed.... When the ban expanded to Europe I just gave up and left the laptop at home.

Yeah in the summer I remember there was a fuss about a ban in the Middle East! So glad the ban got lifted!

I just traveled back to the island from
MSP throughout MDW and didn’t have any trouble - they simply make you take out iPads and laptops as always. Glad the ban has been lifted!!

Last edited:
Coming back from Cabo last week we didn’t have to take out any electronics. The announcements kept going on about extra security for flights to the US but we didn’t see any.

Coming back from Cabo last week we didn’t have to take out any electronics. The announcements kept going on about extra security for flights to the US but we didn’t see any.

If you did some diving, are you giving us a trip report? Would be interested as I'm going in January.

On topic though, heard news on electronics ban, but didn't think it ever went into effect on flights to/from U.S. If it was, I would never take my iPad or laptop, if it had to be checked. I'm always checking the banned items list before flights in case something new comes up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom