Housings: bringing my electronics to the depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

estresao

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm working in a new tinkering project and need some ideas about how to house my new toy to bring it to depth.

The project is about an electronic compass for my Seacraft DPV, and the decision to make it is based on the following facts:
- Seacraft sells their amazing ENC3 which it's an amazing device, but I don't need all the provided features and it's to expensive for what I need (just a compass).
- I have a kayak compass which is fantastic and it's what I'm using now, but would like to have something visible when diving caves.
- I enjoy tinkering with my ESP32 microcontrollers

I've got almost done my electronics and programming stuff, but I don't know how will I get this stuff into the water. Because my DVP can go up to 100m, I'd like to be able to bring this device also to 100m (if possible).

I've been browsing for IP68 waterproof boxes, but most of them can only doi few meters..... plus they don't have a transparent side for the device screen.

Was thinking in punting it inside a Gopro housing, bu my device is a little bigger.

Also was thinking in get a thick sheet of isolation nylon board, carve it to place the electronics and set a acrylic front with o-rings.

Any ideas out there?

depending on how large of a screen you need, you could probably find an old VR3 computer to gut and use it's housing.

- I have a kayak compass which is fantastic and it's what I'm using now, but would like to have something visible when diving caves.
Why can't you see your compass in caves? Your light should provide enough ambient/scattered light to see it at a quick glance. If not that then you can hold your light closer for the brief moment of reading it...

I like the endeavor you're pursuing though.

Why can't you see your compass in caves? Your light should provide enough ambient/scattered light to see it at a quick glance. If not that then you can hold your light closer for the brief moment of reading it...

Actually I can, I use a Halcyon Focus 2.0 but, because I like tinkering, it's something I'd like to make.

Compass is the first stage, once you start youbcannot stop (GPS in a buoy?, navigation charts? LOL

Interesting... not sure how easy/expensive cpuld be... I'll search.

Thus is the microcontroller set I'm using. It got a 4.3" screen.

ESP32-S3 4.3inch Capacitive Touch Display Development Board, 800×480, 5-point Touch, 32-bit LX7 Dual-core Processor | ESP32-S3-Touch-LCD-4.3

This is the size:

ESP32-S3-Touch-LCD-4.3-details-size.jpg

I’ve found zero depth-rated general-purpose rectangular boxes. (Which suggests there’s no appreciable reachable market, as third-party GoPro cases demonstrate that effective cases can be made at low cost.)

Cylinders can be found, though. Check out Cylindrical Locking Series (2–8”) Archives and related pages for clear cylindrical depth-rated enclosures.

On a tangent, you could consider potting the whole thing, though you’d have to solve charging and update comm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom