Housing Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Something I have been thinking about,,,and it seems pretty logical to me (but then so have so many other things it would be advisable not to mention here).......

when not using a camera housing for a period of a month or more....should it be stored OPEN or SHUT and locked.??

Seems to me the seal/o'ring would last longer if the housing was stored open.

Comments??

You are correct; it is better to store housings open. Compression on the o ring(s) for a long period of time will "flatten" the o-ring. If it turns in its slot, could lose tight seal. Take o-ring out, grease it, store it in a clean sealed plastic baggy.

Barracuda2

Barracuda2 once bubbled...
You are correct; it is better to store housings open. Compression on the o ring(s) for a long period of time will "flatten" the o-ring. If it turns in its slot, could lose tight seal. Take o-ring out, grease it, store it in a clean sealed plastic baggy.

Barracuda2

One exception would be a gates housing with their non-greased o-rings. Housing open=Yes, grease the o-ring=check manufacturer specifications, some are not to be greased. PS, throw a nice bag of desicant in their too during storage.

crazyc

man my ex wife hated it when i was right...

thanks...it made sense to me...but i have been wrong before!

Back
Top Bottom