Housing Recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jesus Irazabal

Registered
Reaction score
Dear forum members,
As I'm considering investing on a SLR Housing and I already have a Nikon N80 with a 28-80 lens, I would like to know your thoughts about the housings available.
Value, ease of use, durability, are some of the variables to be consider. Also as an user of a Nikonos V w/ an Ikelite Substrobe 100a, any recomendation should include that substrobe as part of the system.
Thank you in advance for all your comments and recomendations, best regards...
Jesus

I second Sea and Sea as well. Some of my dive buddies use the Sea and Sea housings with their Nikon F80/N80 and I personally think that it is the best housing Sea and Sea ever produced, very compact in comparison to its D100 or D70 housing.
Substrobe wise, it will work with Sea and Sea strobe, Inon or Ikelite, just depends on your preference, I think. Personally I like Ikelite DS125, excellent strobe with a great backup service by the company.

Ikelite's plastic housings are considerably cheaper than aluminums like Sea & Sea. The Ike housings are rugged, dependable, and easy to use. The downside is that the housing is large and the plastic can't be finely machined to the contours of the camera, so there's more airspace inside. That means lots of ballast to make it neutral in the water, and that makes for a big, heavy, clumsy rig out of the water. However, it's a cheap and viable alternative. -Clay

Aquatica would be my choice. I already have one of their housings and it's built like a tank.

If money is no object then get a Seacam D70.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom