Housing for C5050?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCdiving Deb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I need advice on housings...

I am probably picking up an Oly C5050 based upon the glowing reviews you all have supplied. My question is whether the extra money for the Ikelite housing is needed. The LDS underwater photo expert says the difference in $$ is worthwhile because the Ikelite is so much more rugged and rated to deeper depths.

What do YOU think? C/B analysis, features you like/dislike, etc.

Thanks!

I have just recieved my PT-015, the Olympus housing. It seems plenty rugged to me. As for the lower depth rating, how much more than 130 ft do you need? I have kind of a self imposed limit of 100 ft, nothing much I can see below that that I can't see above 100. I like bottom time and if you are a photographer, you need all you can get. If you have a need/desire to go to depths much over 100 ft , then I would go with the Ikelite or other housing. 99% of my dives never go over 50 ft so the 130 ft rating of the Oly is fine for me. It is my understanding that all of the functions of the camera are not available on some of the other housing, the Oly housing has them all, darn thing has buttons all over it. Depending on your needs and point of view this may or may not be a good thing. So far, all the comments here have been positive on the PT-015.

As far as Oly vs Ikelite housing goes, this is my take,
Ikelite would be more suitable if:
1) if you have big hands and wear thick gloves, Ikelite buttons are bigger, easier to get around in thick gloves (this is relative, other people seem to do fine with Oly housing as well).
2) stay put buttons when you need to push a button with left hand and use the right hand tto roate the jog dial, with Ikelite, it is easier than the Oly housing where you will have to press the button and rotate the jog dial simutaneously (people manage this ok on PT-015 but Ikelite does make it easier).
3) Ikelite O-ring system is easier to clean and seems a bit more flood proof (this is my pesonal perception, no hard data to back me up) to me but the Oly double o-ring system is not bad either. However there have been quite a few reports of leak on the shutter/jog dial buttons after repetitive use with the Oly housing. However this happens in the minority of Oly housing owners and not the majority.
4) Ikelite has not made an official announcement yet but they have decoded TTL code for Olympus housing so if you use Ikelite housing with Ikelite strobe, you can get TTL (this is true of the Oly 5060 and they are pondering the same option for 5050-hopefully they will do it as there are many more 5050 owners right now than 5060 and it seems that many divers are more skeptical of the 5060 anyway).

However one definite advantage of the Oly housing is that if you use Oly housing, especially with Inon strobe, it is a much more compact system than Ikelite housing with Ikelite strobe.
Someone is also making some wireless sensor thing for true TTL control for PT-015 housing with Sea and Sea strobe but I don't know too much about it.

Personally I own an Ikelite housing and I am very please with it.
I apologize for any typo, had a beer or two too many tonight so I can't seem to type very well :)

Herman and ssra have pretty much covered it. It also depends on what kind of diving you'll be doing, especially if you do any shore diving. I see you're in CA. Some of those shore entries can get pretty hairy. In that case most folks report that the Ikelite's construction is an advantage. If you only do boat dives or easy shore entries, then I don't think it matters.

Another thing to think of is size. The Ikelite is bigger than the Oly. To some that's no big deal but if you're trying to keep your rig smaller and easier to handle, it could mean alot.

I've had my C-5050 for several months with no problems with leaks. That seems to have been the problem with a single manufaturing run. I like the dual o-ring system.

Bottom line....both are equally good, each has it's pros and cons. But if you don't plan to make rough shore entries/exits, I don't think the Ikelite is worth the extra money.

my 2¢

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I will probably have more questions as I research further.

Dee, you are very perceptive about the beach diving aspects to consider. I beach dive ~50% of the time, and although I usually hold out for calm entries and exits, I am such a clutz I can lose my balance with ankle slappers sometimes. It makes it difficult to know whether I should be more concerned about compactness of the set-up or ruggedness because I will probably fall on top of it! Hmmm. Many points to ponder... and motivation to get more coordinated!

ssra30, I am so happy that you responded with your Ikelite experience and the technical highlights. It is easy to get opinions from PT-015 users, but I have seen none from Ikelite users like yourself. Thanks!

Herman, I do not typically dive deep, but I certainly would want the ability to have my camera with me and be confident that it will be up to the challenge. We have some sea canyons and wrecks nearby that I have not yet done, but someday I hope to!

TedJ, gotta love a deal like that! Thanks!

Anyone else care to respond?? I am all eyes!

I have the ikelite, flawless function, built like a tank. I'm not limited by the capacities of my camera. Ikelite housing parts are more readily available. It balances out nicely under water, ie not clumsy at all. I love it. As far as the camera, it's pretty impressive by itself.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom