Housing and Strobe vs Sealife DC1000 Elite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Piratelooksat40

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving for 20+ years. I have never really tried any underwater photography. I have a place in the Florida Keys and get down there 6-8 times a year, and I am going to the Turks in August. I am thinking about trying some underwater photography. So I need to get a starter camera. I have looked at all the reviews and I have narrowed it down to a Sealife DC1000 Elite or buying a Housing and Strobe for my Nikon Coolpix S550.

To me it seems like the easiest thing is to buy the Sealife DC1000 Elite. From everything I see, it looks like I can buy it, charge it up, and it is good to go. Seems like the price is 899.99 just about everywhere.

If I go with a housing for my coolpix S550, I can get a housing for around $250. But then can I get a strobe for it? I am not sure how to hook it up, or what is compatible. If I can get a strobe for $300-$350, it looks like it will be cheaper, but a little more complicated.

Any thoughts or advice would be great.

Hello pirate.

The same strobe that is sold with the DC1000 Elite works with other digitals as well and can be purchased seperatly for a Sugg. retail of $399.95 that includes everything you need and a soft carrying caase that will fit the strobe and camera. It is the Digital Pro Flash item #SL961.

Not that hard to get it working either, about 5 minutes to set up.

However the DC1000 Elite with all it's dive specific programming makes it easier and faster to get up to speed shooting underwtaer for first timers.

Cheers,
Joe

I used a DC500 (2-3 generations before the DC1000) as my first UW camera and took about 5,000 photos with it. Good starter camera, but I soon learned that you must have a camera with FULL manual control over aperature, shutter speed and ISO. I don't know if the DC1000 has that or not. If it doesn't then I would not buy it. You'll be unhappy down the road.

I'd look at the Canon G10 first or the Nikon P6000 second. Plus you'll need at least one strobe and preferably two. But you can start with one. I also prefer housings that have a wired connection to the strobe for TTL. I've gone with Ikelite housing and strobes for that reason. Tho Canon does make a housing for the G10, not sure how it's wired.

just my 2 psi.

Edit: One more point. Read the info available on SB and wetpixel.com before you decide.

Last edited:
Tho Canon does make a housing for the G10, not sure how it's wired.

All of the Canon cases do not have ports for cables. You have to use a mask kit. Usualy every strobe you purchase will come with the mask kit incase the camera you're using doesn't have a port. It is really simple to attach. It's velcro with a plastic disc to attach the cable. It works great but it may not look the best.

In the Keys most diving is real shallow so there may not be a need to start with a strobe right off the bat. While it would be ideal to get one you could hold off your purchase until you get some shots with your underwater camera before making a decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom