Hotel in Kona close to day dive boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcclink

Contributor
Reaction score
Will be doing day boat dives with Jack's. Looks like hotels are a taxi ride from the boat landing. Any suggestions on close-by accommodations, or is it a cab to/from dock. Thanks for any ideas.

There's a Marriott Courtyard at Kailua pier downtown Kona, and other places nearby. We stayed there ages ago when it was the King Kam and left from that pier. I don't know which ops leave from there nowadays, but I guess not Jack's.

Jack’s offers free shuttle service, so I’d personally rather stay in the middle of Kona to make the best of my time out of the water. But I just love that little town so maybe I’m biased. I like the Kona Islander - the property feels like a manicured jungle, there’s a pool and hot tub, and the rooms that I’ve stayed in are like little urban apartments. And it’s smack in the middle of Ali’i Drive.

There's nothing around the harbor since it's in some sort of preserve? As mentioned, Jack's has the shuttle - I know of at least one person who met up with them in town at their Alii office and was given a ride to their boat. It would be sort of a long walk with gear from Jack's to he Kailua/Kona pier divesite if you were planning to shore dive there.

If you wanted to take advantage of one of the south Kona properties there's the local (non-Jacks) trolley. IDK how they'd feel about dive gear but we did regularly see snorkelers with all their gear in a bag on it. https://historickailuavillage.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Trolley-Schedule.pdf

If you aren't set on Jack's - I have seen a six-pack operator mentioned that did seem to leave from the Kona/Kailua pier. It fronts the King K/Marriott resort mentioned above. Sorry I don't have the name but would have found it via google.

Most/All of the dive boats go out of Honokohau Harbor north of town. Jack's has a van and will give you a ride to and from the boat...their shop in on Kuakini near the heart of Kailua Kona.

Marriott Courtyard, Holiday Inn Express and several other hotels are close-by.

Enjoy the dives...Jack's and all the dive ops here in Kona are top notch.

I would echo what @Aloha Joe wrote. If you can stay close enough to Jack’s, you can take advantage of their shuttle to the dock and back. Not sure what all hotels are along Ali’i Drive, but we stayed at the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort which I felt was a little too far south of Jack’s for us to walk to. Would Google hotels along that stretch if your trying to get close.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom