Hose length with single tank setup, and...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am looking into some more pros and cons about the standard primary and octo hose lengths vs. the 5' and 7' primary and shorter bungeed octo. This is from other threads I have read but I wanted a bit more info on the subject.

I now am diving a BP/W, Single HP120 with stabilizer, 7' hose on the primary 2nd stage, octo bungeed with a 24" hose, and a 30cuft pony slung on my left.

I used to dive the BP/W, single hp120 with stabilizer, standard 30" hose on the primary 2nd stage, standard octo clipped to my harness, and 30cuft pony mounted with tamer bracket to the right of my cylinder with 2nd stage clipped to my harness.

I currently am trying out a change in my gear configuration to see if there is a noticeable pro or con to the way I have my gear set up.

Thanks,

The main "pro" is that you now have your gear "properly" configured.

:)

As for the "con" column, well I'm pretty much at a loss to see any.

Pros:

1. Better streamlining
2. Easier gas sharing
3. Easier to find your backup reg

Cons:

1. None.

I'm surprised you don't realize the benefits of the long hose already. Why did you switch in the first place? To me advantages are:

- Safer- Long hose much more conducive to air-sharing
- Safer- Bungeed back-up much easier to switch to, always in the same place
- Less drag- hoses aren't sticking out anywhere
- More comfortable- no jaw fatigue, no loose hoses to mess with

Cons: None
Advantages of short hoses: None
Cons: See above

I have two main reasons for the switch; 1. In a dive a couple of weeks ago we were at 117'ffw and the viz was approximately 1 - 3ft which made navigating by compass a fun little trick, (I did get separated from my buddies but when that happens we usually stick to our plan and meet up somewhere later in the dive) I did however touch the bottom twice while in the low viz environment - point of the story - as we began our ascent now with buddies located an on our swim back to the access I like to practice skills, I secured my Octo and got a mouth full of quarry mud. Upon further inspection and purging the Octo and my Pony 2nd stage both had mud in them, both clipped to the front of my harness. 2. While assisting with an OW class we were practicing OOA drills and swimming the length of the pool while each taking turns being the donor and the OOA diver. I noticed that swimming with the standard length hose on the octo puts you and your buddy on your side because you have to maintain direct contact with your buddy via your right hand, left hand for operating the LPI and hand signals. It just seemed odd to me and if in a real life situation in the OW you would most likely have to get back to the ascent line and not just go vertical. How do you do that if you are swimming sideways?

The basic OW class has many flaws but I'm not about to open that can of worms.

I like the idea of having my octo/2nd stage bungeed around my neck - easy to find and not stuck in the mud.

Hey Quarrydiver23,

I recently went through a similar epiphany in late November.

A gaggle of us were completing a safety stop on the Speigel Grove in Key Largo. Decent current on top that day, we were all doing our best kite impressions on the line, holding on with both hands. A diver went OOA at 8 feet, didn't want his buddy's octo, just kicked up exhaling just like we were all taught. When we were all back on board, I approached him as to why he did what he did. He told me that he was more concerned about being carried away past the shot line with his buddy then going hand over hand up the line, even though his buddy had plenty of air for both. Can't say I would make the same choice, but it did cause me to reasess my Atomic SSi.

Was so happy when Santa delivered another Atomic M1, complete with a new 22" miflex hose and a 5' miflex for the old M1, and a standard inflater hose. Seems he contacted that Christmas elf Larry at Scubatoys.

All kidding aside, I used to laugh at long hose rigs, now I am one. That there DIR punch sure goes down easy!

Just curious; what do you mean by "stabilizer'? Is that a single tank adapter?

BTW, I use a 5' main and bungeed auxilliary. I think you could call having a standardized rig a pro. Now all we have to do is get everyone else to start using it.

Yep, it is a single tank adapter. Before I had one it was a bit of a pain getting those cam bands tight, seemed unstable. Also changed those bands out to a couple SS buckles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom