Hose and Equipment Management

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathaniel Sweeny

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got done with a great dive weekend in Florida. Two of my friends started their diving career with checkout dives in Lake Denton and then we headed to Devils Den, Blue Grotto, Ginnie Springs, Alexander Springs, and Rainbow River. However, since getting back to Indiana I ended up with ear infections and am out diving for about a month. Both ear drums burst with complete loss of hearing in the left ear and minor perforation in the right. It wasn't barotrauma-related, just an infection that I ended up with an IV over. Anyways, I digress...

While I am out of diving, I want to work on streamlining my gear and hoses. Does anyone have any recommendations? Specifically, I hate looking like I've got twice the amount of hose I need and it just kind of floats around me. I'm willing to invest a little bit of money if I need to. I use both a full face mask and a standard second stage, each on their own regulators.

Pictures of your setup would be great if you think you have a good one.

Ditch the FFM and get a 7’ and a 22-24” secondary LP hose for your primary and necklaced second stages. Swift recoveries.

Ditch the FFM and get a 7’ and a 22-24” secondary LP hose for your primary and necklaced second stages. Swift recoveries.
Have you ever used a FFM though, those things are awesome! Eventually, I am going to buy two more with coms and my buddies are doing the training so we can all use them and communicate. I do have a 7' hose on both. That's a good point to say.

I've never used a FFM, but I have to question why you have one on the end of a FFM?! The idea of a long hose on your primary is speed and ease of donating air. With a normal 2nd stage, in an OOA situation you rapidly deploy the reg in your mouth to the other diver, then grab your necklaced 2nd stage for yourself.

I can't imagine donating a FFM to an OOA diver!

Have you ever used a FFM though, those things are awesome! Eventually, I am going to buy two more with coms and my buddies are doing the training so we can all use them and communicate. I do have a 7' hose on both. That's a good point to say.
Is that an Indianapolis thing?

Well I suppose if OW divers would throw off their bonds and embrace the FFM they could say
to their buddy, “Hey buddy I'm dying!” and the buddy could say, “Don't die I'll be right on over”

and as the CCR diver wouldn't know he was oxtoxing and if he wakes up not having drowned
the diver could think, "Did I just come out of spasm and not drown" and then he could say to
his inattentive buddy “Hey buddy guess what just happened, how about surfacing for a beer!”

Other genders version on next page

I've never used a FFM, but I have to question why you have one on the end of a FFM?! The idea of a long hose on your primary is speed and ease of donating air. With a normal 2nd stage, in an OOA situation you rapidly deploy the reg in your mouth to the other diver, then grab your necklaced 2nd stage for yourself.

I can't imagine donating a FFM to an OOA diver!

My apologies, the 7' is on the Octo only. The FFM has a standard length hose. A 7' would be a really "interesting" choice of hose for a FFM.

Is that an Indianapolis thing?

Haha maybe, as I know several that have them. I enjoy doing a lot of treasure hunting and oftentimes with next to zero viz it's nice to be able to talk to communicate. You can see the other persons flashlight, but can't very well make out signals.

I can barely communicate on dry land. Under water I just bumble around talking to myself....and I'm not being facetious. [lately]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom