Horrible news - damage to Breakers Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's just great! Another hit and run on our most precious resource. The main problem is that noone gives a damn about anything but themselves. Some of those corals were thousands of years old, but does anyone give a damn about what they did?...No, all they care about is their personal gain. It really makes me ill to think about it.

That really sucks. I hope they find the guilty party and hold them responsible for it.

This is very sad for the Palm beach area. Breakers is the most poplar reef in the area. Capt Van and the other operators in the area rely on the Breakers very heavily because it is the most requested dive site. Whats even worse is that the odds are very slim of ever finding out who is responsible for the damage.

Words cannot express how disgusted and saddened I am by this news. The video is extremely disturbing.

I'd like to say "is there anything we divers can do?" but I'm afraid that it is futile.

That seriously sucks. If they can find who did this, I hope the punishment is incredibly severe and expensive for them...

What a disgrace. Is it posible to enforce some type of distance restrictions for these reefs. I think they have something like that here in the keys?

Ed Tichenor of Palm Beach REEF Rescue asked that I post this very sad news video.

Video :

Kevin, please throw my name to Ed if they need volunteers willing to be trained and assist in repair... I'm sure I can get a few more rebreather divers as well..., lessee, 50', 7 hours = no deco...

DIVE PLAN
Surface interval = 1 day 0 hr 0 min.
Elevation = 0ft
Conservatism = Nominal

Dec to 50ft (1) Diluent 21/35 0.70 SetPoint, 50ft/min descent.
Level 50ft 419:00 (420) Diluent 21/35 0.70 SetPoint, 9ft ead, 23ft end
Asc to 20ft (421) Diluent 21/35 0.70 SetPoint, -30ft/min ascent.
Asc to 15ft (421) Diluent 21/35 0.70 SetPoint, -30ft/min ascent.
Stop at 15ft 0:50 (422) Diluent 21/35 0.70 SetPoint, 0ft ead, 4ft end
Surface (422) Diluent 21/35 -30ft/min ascent.

Off gassing starts at 29.8ft

OTU's this dive: 197
CNS Total: 76.0%

-Tim

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom