Hooky

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, so who has just said "**** it," played a little hooky to go diving (like someone I know is planning to do tomorrow. :wink: )

More to the point, who has an interesting story to tell about it?

Sometimes it is harder than you think.

One of my dive buddies called in sick to go diving on a wreck south of here. One of the divers on the boat with him played out the same old story we hear all of the time down here.

They get certified, dont dive for a few years, and then try to go, figuring it is like riding a bike. She panicked at 110 feet and flew to the surface. Needless to say, CPR was performed all the way back to the shore, with no success. Some days it is better to go to work.

A couple weeks ago I was sitting in my cubical and distinctly thought, "I'd really rather be diving right now." Some quick email work and 30 minutes later I just stood up and announced to the "cube farm" that "I'm not feeling well." And off I went.

Hmmmm. You know, I'd really rather be diving right now...

(Sorry, the dive came off without a hitch so I don't have a story to back it up.)

I think the best story I have is from a few weeks ago. My buddies and I wanted to go diving. It was a mass-hooky situation. :D They called in for the day and I work nights so I called in for the night. We all used the same excuse, food poisioning.:wacko: Out of the four of us, all of our employers gave us the following day off and best wishes on a speedy recovery. So we dove the next day as well.:D

Jen and I work for the same company, and do the dive hooky thing. Most recently was last Thursday.

We have to be a little more creative with the BS, but it's well worth it. Summer is too short up here.

Food Poisoning! Like it :)

Have to check the tide tables for this Thursday, and come up with a good "warm mayonaise" story. :D

Scott

Now wouldn't it be a major drag if one of your managers joined this board and saw this thread? OOPS! :scared:

Good ideas though. Before I try any I think I'll discreetly check around the office to see who dives.

I said a BUDDY! The names have been changed to protect the guilty... er innocent. LOL

I was having some work/stress issues some months back (I love my job but tend to get way overloaded and stress out) and my doctor got concerned about my raising blood pressure. He had me buy my own tester, and it turns out that after I dive, my blood pressure drops way down, along with my work related stress. So now if I start to show any stress, my boss SENDS MY OUT FOR A DIVE! They say I'm much more productive and easy to work with after a dive. When I told my doc about the drop in blood pressure after diving he said, "Then I prescribe lots of diving for you."
My boss lets me off early every wednesday for the fun dive.
Ah, what a life.... :)

I'd love to be able to play hooky to go diving :( I think I am probably in the worst situation possible. I am doing a PhD so technically I can take time whenever as long as I get my work done but neither of my buddies are in a position to play hooky which means I end up sitting at my desk sulking when the weather is good and I can't dive because I have no-one to dive with! I think some new buddies are in order :)

Back
Top Bottom