Hooking a car

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver32

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am not a PSD, just a full time firefighter, in an area where all PSD are Police. Last week, I was asked (as a recreational diver) by a marina to search thier inlet for an obstruction, supposed to be a tree. Instead I found a car and an elderly woman who has been missing for 4 months. I tied off the car and called in Police/PSD.

But it just got me wondering, how do you hook a car like that for removal? Is there training you undergo for "tow" work such as that or just experience? Just curious, I'm not about to go start looking for submerged cars.

Dan
Rochester NY

Wow. That's pretty sad.

Actually I was taught how to hook up to vehicles during my Underwater Criminal Investigators school. We spent a lot of time doing it and doing it safely. We prefer to use nylon staps as well instead of chains and use a shackle to attach them. I have also used j-hooks but the straps are easier to work with in water. It helps to spray paint the shackles and gear with a brightly colored paint for visibility purposes. We also bouy the vehicle so you can tell what is happening from above.

Most times you just get a good wrap or two on the rear axle or whatever portion of the frame you can get to. Hook in the cable from the tow truck and drag it out. (You can use lift bags if you want to keep it a bit more intact) Straps are good, short chains or cables work if you don't have the straps.

I learned many years ago, lets just say it was OJT back then.

And good job on marking it off and letting the PSD guys handle it!

If the car is upright you can hook on good to the axle or control arm if you are on say a ramp, but I simply like rigging it for lift with bags and then towing it to the shore and pull it on shore with the semi wrecker. Also we always use semi wreckers due to the added weight of the water. Dive Rescue International offers a light salvage and recovery training class. It teaches lifting, rigging, and stage lifting for cars, boats, planes etc.. It is a good program... I dont know if ERDI offers anything or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom