Hookah's first stage, what is different in it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Besides at least we dont loose our divers, like you scuba lot and can always yank them back up to the surface on the umbilical with them hopefully still attached at the other end.

Surface supplied = tender. I'm not a fan of using a hookah without someone on the surface, too much can happen outside of my knowledge or control.

I don'k know about the exact regulator that you're talking about but a standard first stage works fine. I don't think there is really a difference. You can make your own hookah setup by replacing your 36" second stage hose with a 30' hose and leaving your tank on the boat/float/dock or wherever.

I think that's called Snuba...

Now by contrast a shallow water pressure vacuum event using a standard bite mouthpiece and a de tuned 2nd stage.
with a scuba "hookah" umbilical while not fitting a non return valve at the divers end.

First a Big Bang .......Heck the cheap and nasty yellow plastic PVC Chinese noodle of an "umbilical" best described as a recreational scuba sports product you bought off a web site selling junk plastic fantastic scuba gear for your clean white yacht has just gone bang as the cheap PVC from East Far Plastics Co Ltd got too soft under the hot caribbean sun and parted with the cheap brass end fitting.

Next your cheap hookah 2nd stage looses its soft rubber seat because you just pushed the purge button while wondering why you cant get a breath out of the thing, Then while you suck hard for your next breath the exhaust valve or also called the flapper valve "inverts" and allows an in rush of salt water into your second stage up and into the umbilical in an attempt to obtain an equalisation of pressure between the hose under vacuum and the surrounding column of water pressure its in.

Now you cant breathe in the water but you do and are now faced with the option of a rapid surfacing taking care to breathe out as you ascend or not dependant on your metal state and stress reaction and point of gas loss in inhalation or exhalation. Or you breathe in the mixture of salt water and any medical damage from the inital pressure loss and you drown.

Failing that any medical event of even of a minor nature on a yacht out away from 1st state medical facilities or without a small transportable 50 metre 2 man capable hyperbaric chamber on deck in order to even have a chance to cope with your spontaneous primary pneumothorax event. You finally take a last look around and kick the bucket.
Boy,I bet your real fun at a Party.....stoneshirt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom