Hookah diving in the North West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wkyongae@aol.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Been snorkeling the southern end of the Puget Sound for past 6 years and Neah Bay area as well. Have been throwing the idea of hookah diving for past few years. Used to scuba dive years ago in the Gulf off the coast of Panama City. But, now prefer to snorkel or freedive. My question is this, other then knowing some basic scuba knowledge. How well would a hookah system do in the cold waters up here? Anyone have any experience in this area?

A hookah works fine in Puget Sound, especially for "working dives" where you're not moving around too much. I see them used frequently during recovery dives and some times when hull-cleaning, etc.

You should be very comfortable diving in our cold water before using a hookah. If you dive enough with one, your air supply will at some point stop working. Doing an emergency ascent from a shallow depth is not a big deal if your remember to keep your airway open.

As a free diver, you're going to have a tendancey to try and hold your breath. If you hold breath while doing an emergency ascent after your hookah craps out, you'll kill yourself. I'm sure you already know that, but wanted to reinforce the idea since you're spending your time free diving.

BTW, where are you free diving in South Puget Sound?

Thanks, mostly dive Steilacoom area sometimes Tolmie State Park, Hope Island, and Squaxin island. Best place Neah Bay, although going to Canada Powell River area 1st part of June for a week of snorkeling.

Back
Top Bottom