Hookah diving electrocution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlh

New
Reaction score
I have heard of people being electrocuted while using electric hookah diving systems that are accidentally pulled into the water. It seems to me the products should be equipped with some type of protection against this, such as built-in ground fault circuit interruptors. Does anyone have knowledge of whether any models have protection against this risk? Thanks.

Even in a system with GFI, the incoming power side of the GFI will be active even after the GFI trips. If the GFI is on the outlet powered the hookah, then everything that falls into the water will be dead.

I wouldn't select a hookah system based upon this concern. You can pretty simply rig up a 3' power cord feeding a portable outlet box with a GFI receptacle for those cases where the available power doesn't have GFI. Or get a commercial pigtail GFI cord like
2-5ft GFI Pigtail Extension Cord .

I have heard of people being electrocuted while using electric hookah diving systems that are accidentally pulled into the water. It seems to me the products should be equipped with some type of protection against this, such as built-in ground fault circuit interruptors. Does anyone have knowledge of whether any models have protection against this risk? Thanks.

The compressor should be secured to keep that from happening. A rope and clip would suffice but a box (of some kind) that is can be placed in and secured, would even be better. Besides an electrocution hazard no air would be bad too, which is why you also should wear a sufficient sized bottle to back you up in case of this or minor entrapment / entanglement. The hookah should never be able to be pulled away as this may be you safety line to get back top the surface.

As to your question.............don't know.

I have heard of people being electrocuted while using electric hookah diving systems that are accidentally pulled into the water.... Does anyone have knowledge of whether any models have protection against this risk? Thanks.
Better yet, does anyone have any documented case of anyone pulling an electric hookah into the water and getting electrocuted?
The only thing I've been able to find so far is this thread!
:)
Rick

The body of water would be large... I don't see how this could occur unless you grabbed onto the unit while it was in the water? I mean, one side has the power and one side is ground. The electricity flows from the power source to ground. If you're standing on earth and touch a live wire the electricity goes through you. If you are in a huge body of water as it is, the ground is going to be the boat, with the source of power being the cable. If you grabbed the cable or perhaps compressor and grabbed the boat then the power would go through you?

Are you specifically asking about electric shocks only from hookahs or about work around docks in general? In case you weren't aware of them, there have been stories circulated about stray electric fields in water around docks, possibly resulting from improper wiring or from ground currents unexpectedly choosing an in-water return path. Don't know details, but the topic has been touched upon here on ScubaBoard in discussion about boat cleaning. :search:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom