Hood warmth & neck comfort please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Over the years, I have worn a vest & (bibbed) hoody in different ways to improve warmth (a vest & hoody under a wetsuit, a hoody vest under & over a wetsuit, a hood & vest under and over a semi-dry suit, & hoods under a dry suits).

In principle, I believe a vest over or under a suits’ zipper limits water intrusion water flushing thru a suit.... brrr.

Despite all my trials for the optimum mix, I wouldn’t have a definitive recommendation for anyone, including myself. There are two vest & hood issues that are important to me. Of coarse warmth is one, but equally important is comfort and flexibility around the neck. For example, minimizing neck stiffness which allows unrestricted flexibility and not feeling like I’m being choked are really important, but not easy obtained.

Just wondering if anyone has any vest/hoody combos (& brands) that you like or recommend. I’m currently thinking of replacing my vest & hood combo that I have for my 7mm Bare Reactive wetsuit.

I've only ever used NON-bibbed Waterproof hoods. Got certified dry at the same time as OW. When I lost so much weight my drysuit didn't fit anymore the next year, I used the same non-bibbed hood with my Bare wetsuits. I've dove down into the low 40s here on the Great Lakes with a 5mm neoprene hood over a hooded Lavacore vest. Nice and cozy. When I went back to diving dry, same hood. My new DUI FLX Extreme has the warm neck where you could tuck in a bibbed hood, but I'm continuing to use a non-bibbed hood. My 7mm had gotten taken accidentally by someone at a quarry last year. Took my L and left their XXL. :rant: The dive shop only had bibbed hoods in stock. I just bought a bibbed one and use my dive shears to cut off the bib. I think a bibbed hood would be too much around my neck.

It's unclear from your post whether or not you're tried a hooded vest(one piece), but they have the least amount of bulk around your neck.

I've only ever used NON-bibbed Waterproof hoods. Got certified dry at the same time as OW. When I lost so much weight my drysuit didn't fit anymore the next year, I used the same non-bibbed hood with my Bare wetsuits. I've dove down into the low 40s here on the Great Lakes with a 5mm neoprene hood over a hooded Lavacore vest. Nice and cozy. When I went back to diving dry, same hood. My new DUI FLX Extreme has the warm neck where you could tuck in a bibbed hood, but I'm continuing to use a non-bibbed hood. My 7mm had gotten taken accidentally by someone at a quarry last year. Took my L and left their XXL. :rant: The dive shop only had bibbed hoods in stock. I just bought a bibbed one and use my dive shears to cut off the bib. I think a bibbed hood would be too much around my neck.

@Marie13 Bummer you lost your hood!! When I spoke of a hood, I meant bibbed hood. I’ve never considered (and used) a non-bibbed hoody but I can imagine the comfort and flexibility are considerably better than a bibbed hoody. I’m assuming that was the case for you as you didn’t mention any problems. Do you have any hood brand of construction preferences?

@Marie13 Bummer you lost your hood!! When I spoke of a hood, I meant bibbed hood. I’ve never considered (and used) a non-bibbed hoody but I can imagine the comfort and flexibility are considerably better than a bibbed hoody. I’m assuming that was the case for you as you didn’t mention any problems. Do you have any hood brand of construction preferences?

Waterproof brand. Fit is great for me. A lot of people seem to like them. I know a lot of divers who use them.

And another positive of non-bibbed hoods - you don’t get the cone of shame if you forget to tuck it in!

:rofl3:

It's unclear from your post whether or not you're tried a hooded vest(one piece), but they have the least amount of bulk around your neck.
At one time I had a hooded vest, but it was to small so that experience was not a fair evaluation. I’m hearing from you, that you find the hooded vest comfortable since there is not bulk around the neck, right?

I just got a PM recommendation to wear a 1.5 to 2mm hooded vest over ones wetsuit and a heavier 5mm or 7mm non-bibbed hood over it. Good seals & flexible comfortable neck...... sounds like a really good idea!!

I just got a PM recommendation to wear a 1.5 to 2mm hooded vest over ones wetsuit and a heavier 5mm or 7mm non-bibbed hood over it. Good seals & flexible comfortable neck...... sounds like a really good idea!!

I’d suggest putting the hooded vest UNDER your wetsuit. I dived that way in cold water with a 5mm non-bibbed hood over the vest’s hood. Worked really well. If you’re looking for more insulation, I’ll recommend the 1mm WetSox neoprene socks that come up to your knees (or did on me, anyway). Made for toasty toes under 5mm boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom